A Journey Neverending - YoM Day 365

A year ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've finally reached it's conclusion. Yesterday, I talked about taking care of ourselves and benefiting others in doing so. Today is a new day.
"Every new beginning comes from other beginning's end." - Seneca
I did it. One year of practicing mindfulness and reflecting on life. It feels like yesterday that I started this adventure and it's already come to its conclusion.

Was it worth it? Absolutely

There were times I wanted to quit and not do anything. I'd rationalize in my head that "it's just a hobby" or that "it won't matter if I miss one day", but ultimately that'd be a lie. Missing days meant betraying myself and my conviction. It'd be the same as saying my goals aren't worth pursuing. This year of mindfulness was more than just an exercise in discipline or a challenge. It was a test to see how much I really wanted to change and improve my life. It was a stepping stone for me to see if I was ready to commit to changing my lifestyle for the better.

In thinking about my life and the world around me I've dug deep and took the blinders off that prevented me from seeing my weaknesses. I didn't really love myself and I often got too stuck in my head. I'd overthink things, which would make me doubt and think less of myself. My tendency to think created a vicious cycle that spiraled me down into a depressive state; but in learning to be aware of it and accept it as a part of me I turned my overthinking into a strength. I started thinking about "where are things going wrong and what do I need to do in order to get things back in order". I identified my weaknesses and came to grips with them.

Thinking was just the beginning. The next step was taking action. We can't get anywhere without walking first. The same goes with progress. This year taught me that it's better to do what you can today instead of putting it off for later. The end result might be the same, but the mentality behind them are different. My mom used to get mad at me when I didn't do my chores right away. I used to think, "what's the rush? It'll get done", but I never realized how my procrastination in doing chores translated in how I handled my other responsibilities.

In doing things now we're taking our time and (more importantly) our lives more seriously. In doing so we take more action toward doing the things that provide us with value. In procrastinating and always putting things off we let dust gather in our houses and before we know it the house becomes filthy. What would've taken a few minutes will now take a lot of effort to clean up. On the other hand, you could maintain it little by little every day to where it doesn't require a huge commitment every day to get the same result. The difference is that it's actually easier to just do things now and reap the benefits sooner. We all have a finite amount of time, so it's best to use it wisely.

Although I've completed this project, that doesn't mean I'll be stopping any time soon. I'm far from perfect and still have a lot I plan to work on. Now that I've established the habit, from here on out is a matter of maintaining it. Like fitness or diet, one doesn't simply stay healthy after hitting a goal. It's a lifelong commitment. If I want to stay strong I have to keep going to the gym. If I want to stay slim I have to keep eating a balanced diet. If I want to maintain a positive growth-mindset I'll still have to practice mindfulness. This year has taught me that good things last only as long as we take care of them. I only have one chance to live this life, so I might as well try doing it right, yea?

The journey is never ending, but it'll also keep changing. 
Time to start a new chapter in my story.

                                                                                                               Peace
Earth
With the end of any adventure, another waits beyond the horizon.


THANK YOU to everyone who has followed me along this journey and I want say that it means more than you know. Without your support I wouldn't have made so much progress along the way. Knowing that people are reading this helped inspire me to give it more effort than had I done this all on my own. So thank you for being here and having my back.

I'm excited to start my next project and have a BIG announcement soon. Look forward to it and I hope to see you then.

Comments

  1. Thanks again for joining me along my journey! Look forward to a big announcement soon!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment