Before Flying, We Must First Learn to Walk - YoM Day 359

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 359. Yesterday, I talked about working to create your intended future. Today is a new day.
"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying." - Frederich Nietzsche 
I'm nearing completion of my website and I'm really excited to finally launch it for the end of my year of mindfulness. With all of the work that's gone into it I'm proud of what I've accomplished and look forward to seeing how it grows. Looking back, I definitely didn't think I'd be able to do something like this a year ago and it says a lot about the nature of progress.

When it comes to computer and programming knowledge, I'm low-tier trash. Despite my dad being an IT guy, I'm the kinda techie that needs to be talked to really slowly and shown colorful pictures before things start to click. Although having my own site offers far more benefits than using blogger, I lacked the skill and expertise to make it meet my high personal expectations (I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to aesthetic design). So starting with a basic blogging site was definitely something I don't regret, even if it meant limiting myself to basic functions.

Whenever we learn anything, the basics are always the most important to master. Whenever I tried picking up a new hobby they were always the first things instructors would teach. As a kid, I was impatient and just wanted to start doing the cool stuff. I was in a hurry to be awesome, but in the same way a building without a strong foundation will collapse, without mastering the basics we are vulnerable and unstable. While I could've tried to start with my own website, it would've been too big a hurdle for me because I knew nothing about blogging, website development, etc. It would be like trying to deadlift 300 lbs without any prior weight-training experience: chances are you're gonna hurt yourself.

These last two years have been a way for me to focus on the basics. Writing, formatting, finding a niche that I enjoy writing about, establishing a routine, and learning about the blogging meta. Now that I've become more familiar with the blogging world I am ready to make the next step: to level-up to creating my own site. My previous knowledge has definitely helped me figure out site settings and necessary pages. By having established a general theme with my writing (mindfulness and self-improvement) I've also sped-up the process of figuring out what kind of aesthetic I want.

It's funny how life works sometimes. I initially created this blog as a way to track my own progress and sort my thoughts out as I was getting ready to move to Japan. While it may not have seemed like it at first, what started out as a hobby eventually created a foundation that is preparing me for bigger and better things. That's life though: full of the unexpected yet purposeful.

What foundation have you built? Where will it take you?

                                                                                                                    Peace
Landscape
With each challenge we conquer another will present itself and the cycle continues forever. Walk, run, climb, dance, fly. To infinity and beyond.

Comments

  1. What foundation are you building for yourself? Leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment