Think Great, Be Great - YoM Day 357

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 357. Yesterday, I talked about psyching yourself into success. Today is a new day.
"Be great in act, as you have been in thought." - William Shakespeare
I went bouldering again with friends last night and decided to try some harder routes. I went in with a positive mentality and still struggled, but as I was making progress on my routes I kept having to focus more on my technique more than I did my motivation. While having the right mentality is important in success, it's only one part of the equation. The next step is backing up the thought with action.

You ever meet the person who spits mad game but never backs it up? The ego is a sensitive thing that when left unchecked can easily become inflated. Just because you think you're great doesn't automatically make it so. Your actions must match your thoughts, too. One reason why martial arts is a good discipline is because it constantly shows you that you still have a lot to improve upon. It humbles you because you're reminded that there's always someone better. For someone looking to improve, it also gives you something to work toward - a goal to reach.

If you wanna talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk. The two are equal parts of the same whole. In order to be balanced you cannot have one without the other. The two propel each other. Working on being more positive has helped motivate me to try harder when I do things. Rather than just doing what I need to do, I'm striving to fully put myself into whatever I do. In improving my skills and seeing my growth I'm learning to become more confident. The cycle continues and one leads to another.

To be great, you have to BE great. Half-assing things won't cut it. You either go big or you go home. For me, this means dedicating my energy to doing things that benefit me and staying committed to what I do. Find something you like and want to get better at and keep doing it. Set aside some time every week just for that activity and make it a habit. While I can't realistically expect myself to be perfect all of the time, the least I can do is try. There's no shame in failing when you put your soul into something, but the more you do it the more you learn to become better at it. Being great, like gaining confidence, is something you work toward. How we do anything is how we do everything.

Think great, be great.


                                                                                                                Peace
Greatness
Health is physical and mental. Balancing both creates true greatness.

Comments

  1. How will you BE great? Leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment