Being a Friend - YoM Day 348

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 348. Yesterday, I talked about embracing and loving the struggle. Today is a new day.
"The only way to have a friend is to be one." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
This Valentine's week has been interesting so far. Although V-Day is about love and courtship, the gift-giving custom extends to the workplace as well. After being presented with all sorts of chocolates I was reminded of how important it is to give and be good to others. Maintaining cordial relationships is something that's important in the workplace and one way to do that is sharing chocolates (I love chocolate). Although I didn't expect anyone to bring anything and perhaps they did it out of a sense of obligation, it's still a nice gesture and one that I appreciate. I usually get along with my co-workers anyway, but it reminded me that we're all just trying to get by and helped me see them as good people, not just co-workers.

To me being good to other people is more important than what I can get out of any relationship. Sure, some friendships come with huge benefits, but being a good friend is being a friend because you genuinely want to connect with someone, not because you want something out of them, and life has a way of reciprocating that. When one side isn't really interested in the other there's a huge difference compared to when everyone is on-board the friendship train. In the same way we can't please everyone, we can't be friends with everyone, either. True friendships can't be forced. They just happen.

In my case, I think most of my friendships came into fruition when I've been able to bring out the best in others. To me, it's not just doing nice things, but helping people help themselves. When people ask for my opinion instead of simply trying to solve a problem, my goal is to help people come up with their own answer: help them get back on their path. It's important to keep in mind that you're doing it because you enjoy it though. If you're not having a good time then is it really genuine?

Everyone is different though, so finding how you can be a good friend to other people is a task only you can discover. It's about complementing each other - having a good balance. How you do it is the question because in the end, I don't think there is a "right" way to be a friend, just your way.

How can you be a friend to those around you?

                                                                                                               Peace
Friendship
There is no right way to be a friend, just your way.

Comments

  1. What do you think makes a good friend? Let me know in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment