Without Thinking - YoM Day 343

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 343. Yesterday, I talked about how everyone needs a bit of tough love. Today is a new day.
"Don't think, just do." - Horace
I was having a conversation with a good friend while reaming some kids at League of Legends and the topic of inspiration came up. I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to write about and while we were just playing I noticed myself getting into the flow of the game. As the game went by it occurred to me that I wasn't really thinking too hard about my actions. I was just playing and reacting. This reminded me of the Zen concept of mushin. 

Mushin (無心) can be translated as "the mind without mind", which refers to simply doing. This state of mind is the regarded as the form of mental clarity not impeded by higher mental functions such as thought, emotion, ideas, and judgment.  
"It is a mind that is totally calm -- a mind not influenced or caught up in events or others emotion, thus a mind more able to freely perceive and respond." 
In practicing martial arts, I was taught that the highest form of mastery was learning how to react without thinking; to move in response to the rhythm and flow of my opponent. For those familiar with Dragon Ball Super, this is essentially the basis of "ultra instinct", or migatte no gokui (身勝手の極意), where Goku is seen being fully aware of everything and reacting to it effortlessly. Put simply, it is awareness uninhibited by the unnecessary.

This is something that I'm working toward achieving and is one of the reasons why I work on self-improvement so much. In learning discipline I've become able to identify and cut out a lot of unnecessary things in my life like TV, junk food, toxic people, and things that I simply don't need in my life. In the same way that the mind functions better without distracting thoughts, so too does our life become more clear when we cut out the things that serve no other purpose than to distract us or keep us occupied.

Every aspect of life is connected like domino tiles. Knock one over and you get a ripple effect which eventually leads to you not having to think about it anymore. I've gotten so used to my routines that I don't have to actively think about them as much. I just end up going to the gym, gravitating toward more healthy foods when I go shopping, or wanting to do things that coincide with my goals. No matter what it is we strive for, by doing it we eventually come to internalize it.

While starting a new discipline or cutting something out might be hard at first, give it time and you'll eventually not have to think about it. It'll just be a part of your daily life. That's something people don't realize about diet/training/whatever programs. It's not just the 8 weeks you spend learning the discipline, it's about internalizing it and continuing on after you've reached your goal. That's just the first marker to a life-long road of future checkpoints. With each checkpoint we internalize the higher we ascend toward becoming the best version of ourselves.

Don't think, just do

                                                                                                           Peace
Mushin
Learn to just be

Comments

  1. What will you do? Leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment