Tough Love Exists to Help Us - YoM Day 342

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 342. Yesterday, I talked about being more focused in the present. Today is a new day.
"Tough love is the hardest to give." - Octavia Spencer
One thing I don't like is being lied to. It doesn't matter what it is, I don't like it. During my winter break, my friend gained a lot of weight since the last time we met and she asked me if she looked different to me. I wasn't going to say anything, but because she brought it up I straight up told her I noticed that she had gained some weight and bloated up. I was told to never do that, but I believe in doing onto others as we'd like ourselves, so I figured I'd answer her honestly.

To my surprise, she took it really well and admitted that she hadn't been taking care of herself and that she had been really stressed about it lately. We ended up talking about fitness and I encouraged her saying that she'll be back in shape in no time if she's willing to put in the work and be consistent with it.

Flash-foward to today and she thanked me for telling her the truth. She's lost a lot of her weight and is getting back to her old self and she said that me being honest with her helped her reexamine how she'd been living her life. A lot of the time we need to be told the hard-cold truth if we want to make any real progress. I understand wanting to protect others' feelings, but sometimes we need reality to slap us in the face. The world is a tough place and so we need to be ready to handle it, regardless of how we might feel. Everyone needs some tough love. It might hurt at first, but in the long run being honest is better for us.

Even though we might already know this, it's also one of the hardest things to give people because it requires us to be willing to be completely vulnerable to each other. Like the child lying to their parents because they're afraid of them becoming upset, we too don't want to be judged and disliked for saying the "wrong things". Yet like any difficulty in life, it's something we need to be able to overcome.

There's so much bullshit going on it the world that the last thing we need to not be open and honest with each other. The best way to learn is to start with being honest with ourselves, which is just as (if not more) difficult. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger and by acknowledging my own mistakes and taking action toward correcting them I get closer to becoming the best version of myself that I can be. In the same way, if people are willing to listen, being honest with critique, advice, etc. is enabling them to become the best version of themselves, too. No bullshit.

What kind of tough love do you need?

                                                                                                                  Peace
Tough love
We might get hurt, but tough love is there to truly protect us from the worst things in life. Be it terrible life decisions, danger, etc., it might be worth paying attention.

Comments

  1. Have you ever gotten tough love that helped you out in life? Leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment