From Past to Present - YoM Day 341

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 341. Yesterday, I talked about caring for other people. Today is a new day.
"The past can be used to renew the present, not just to bury it." - Terry Eagleton
The past has an interesting way of reminding us of who we were. My 10-year high school reunion is coming up in May this year (wow, time flies) and my old classmates are already making plans for a big get-together. It's interesting how much people change in 10 years. You make new relationships, lose old ones, pick up new interests, and move on to new places. The point of this reunion is to share stories and reconnect with each other after a long time. While some may see these kinds of events as pointless, I see it as a way to learn.

Although I won't be able to attend the event, the notice of the reunion has already opened up some doors for me to reconnect with some of my old friends. Hearing from them has been a way for me to connect the past with the present. I'm reminded of what I was working toward, how I've deviated from the path, why I've made the decisions I've made, and where they've lead me. Examining my history, my life lacked a lot of focus, which is something I've been working toward refining in the last year.

No doubt some people end up better off than others. Having the opportunity to compare who we were and how far we've come is a great way to see what we can change about our own lives in order to live a life that better suits our needs. When I think about what my classmates are up to now, it's shown me that there's really no telling where we'll go in life. It's something that just happens.

I had no idea I'd be writing a blog, making videos, or teaching English in Japan when I was in high school. I figured I'd still be living in the states, maybe thinking about marriage and kids, and working as a school counselor (at least I got the school thing right). This has taught me that instead of focusing so much on the future, it's important to focus on what's going on right now so that you don't have to worry about the future. The present is where we'll always be, so we should BE in it mentally as well, yeah? 

Having more clearly defined goals (focus) and the discipline to work toward them are two main takeaways from how I can remain focused on the present. While the past can share a lot of insights with us, it's on us to utilize them now so that we don't repeat them in the future. Focus and discipline feed off of one another. Taking action toward the goals you've set creates discipline and through the process of taking action you learn how to more clearly specify what it is you want to accomplish. It's hard to have a specific game plan when you don't know what you're doing, so you have to start doing it in order to see what you still have to do. It's the cycle of living and learning.

What do you think? What has your past taught you of the present?

                                                                                                             Peace
Past Present Future
All time is connected to a singular point that is now. Our past effects the present, which leads to the future.

Comments

Post a Comment