When You Really Care Expectations Aren't So Important - YoM Day 340

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 340. Yesterday, I talked about cutting out the bullshit from our lives. Today is a new day.
"I think it's really important to give back and show other people that you care." - Carly Schroeder 
Today an old friend's sister messaged me because she is thinking about moving to Japan and wanted to know more about how she could make a living here like I did. It's funny because we normally don't talk and it reminded me of something important: in a simplistic outlook, all relationships are exchanges. Some beneficial, some aren't, and some are created for the hell of it. Not everything has a rhyme or reason to it, but it still happens. People come and go no matter what we do and it's something that we all have to deal with at some point in our lives. However, while we can't control everything that happens to us, we can control how we react to it.

What's more important than trying to please everyone and hold on to people who are going down a different path than you is learning how to let people go but being there for them when they need you. Like birds, relationships should be free and when we keep them locked in a cage they slowly wither. However, when we let them go we're also letting them choose to come back on their own accord. It's allowing people to be genuine and letting them know that we respect their decisions. My parents, no matter how much of a shit I was as a kid were always there for me, so when it's my turn to answer the call I want to be there to give back.

I sometimes get messages like the one I got today and if I genuinely care for the person I want to help them out as much as I can without sacrificing my own well-being. I think it's times like this that really test your level of commitment to a person. You can tell a lot by a person by how they respond to you. Ever notice how some people will be all on you when they need something but as soon as you ask for something in return it's like they're nowhere to be found? Chances are if they aren't there to return the call then they're not being real with you.

That said, while some people might take advantage of you and only talk to you because they want something, that's on them. If you genuinely care about the person and want to help them out then by all means go for it as long as you're not expecting anything in return. Or you can dip-out any time and never talk to them again. Depends on the person and how much you care, really. If you're doing it because you want to, then that's all we really need in life. At the very least, helping someone out is and spreading good vibes makes me happy, so that's a reward in it of itself. I'm trying to lead by example, so while things might not always turn out well, if I practice what I preach and find value in that lifestyle then it's worth it.

How will you answer the call when someone needs you?
 
                                                                                                        Peace
Love
Loving unconditionally is when you care for the person despite their flaws, mistakes, and what happens. Simple being there is enough.

Comments

  1. How are you giving back to the world? Leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment