Knowledge is Never Useless - YoM Day 337

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 337. Yesterday, I talked about figuring out what works for you in life. Today is a new day.
"The pursuit of any discipline - knowledge - pays off, even if it doesn't pay off in the way you initially expect." - Jordan Peterson
I recently bought myself a condenser mic to help me make better quality videos and a midi-cable to connect my piano to my laptop (this lets me directly record what I'm playing without worrying about the background noise). In order to make videos you have to learn video-editing in one program (such as Adobe Premier or Filmora), making thumbnails in another (such as Photoshop or Pixlt), and of course how to use a camera and various accessories that go with it. In order to record your playing you need to learn a separate program (such as FL Studio or Audacity) and how to sync it with your video-editing program.

There are a lot of components you need to learn in order to build the whole, but while I may not be a master at any one of them, taking the basics of each lets me create something entirely new using all of them.

I've tried to learn so many things in life but never really put that knowledge into practice beyond my hobbies. I knew many things, but was never a master of any of it. Yet no matter how many times I experience it, life always manages to find a way to take me by surprise. I used to go on forums and post a lot, but now I write a blog. I like drawing, but I'm far too slow to meet deadlines if I were to be a professional; however, my art is always a reflection of my subconscious and it helps me understand myself. I spent years learning the piano and ended up as an English teacher, but now I can share my playing on youtube (and it's also a nice hobby to keep my brain stimulated).

I thought a lot of my knowledge was "useless", but in a lot of ways it has served to come in handy when I've least expected it. Things may not be going according to how I planned, but it's going well in its own way. 

Learning anything, no matter how trivial it may seem, is always worth it. Whether it's knowledge or a particular skill, they are tools and it's up to us how we use them. I spent a week learning how to make fart sounds with my hands in middle school. People thought it was a complete waste of time (and outside of making people laugh it kinda was). But guess what? I do it for my kids when they're a little bored in class and it helps brighten up the mood and gets them to have fun. NOT so useless after all, eh? The same applies with anything we learn. You just gotta find your own way of connecting it all together to do something ONLY YOU can do.

How can you use your knowledge to create something new?

                                                                                                           Peace
Books
Every piece of knowledge is a gateway into a realm of new possibilities. Finding a way to utilize it is the real challenge.

Comments

  1. How will you use the knowledge you have? Don't forget to leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment