YoM Day 12: Believe in others

Yesterday,we talked about how reciprocating the kindness people give to us makes the world go 'round. Today is a new day.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble." - Rudyard Kiplimg

The news is often riddled with stories of violence, deceit, and the dishonesty of our people. This constant exposure to negativity tends to paint a bleak picture in our minds and can cause many to assume the worst in people. This ends up making people pessimistic and untrusting of others. But that's a pain in the ass. You end up constantly questioning everyone's actions, worrying if you're being scammed, if it's safe to somewhere, and before you know you're covered in grey hairs.

Although malicious people do exist, I've found that my day is filled with much less stress when I go about my day with the mindset that we're all trying to do our best to be good. That simple assumption has changed my outlook on others like night and day.

For example, the amount of homeless people in the world is staggering. I've observed how people tend to treat these people. Most of them are treated like moochers, drug addicts, or society's rejects who had their chance and threw it away. It's depressing that I used to think like that, too. It was something they stigmatized in school and used to instill fear and commitment to the curriculum. "You better study unless you wanna end up like THAT guy or end up flipping patties at McDonald's for the rest of your life" was like some bible verse for teachers growing up. Looking back, it's no wonder many of us are so quick to stigmatize others.

Once I started to practice showing empathy towards others and understanding where they might be coming from, I realized that I didn't know these people or their situation. It wasn't right for me to just assume who they were or what they were after. This taught me that everyone deserves a chance before I reserve any judgment. When people would ask me for money, I'd sometimes ask them their story and while some people will lie just to get their fix (that is still true), and most of them had the best of intentions for the world and things just didn't go in their favor. Not everyone is dealt a great hand in the game of life. Even though I know this I still have to remind myself to not judge people right away.

Talking with people and hearing their stories made me more compassionate and I noticed that I wasn't as tense or stressed out. I saw people as people, not as labels to be categorized. I saw the good that everyone was trying to do for the world. I could see the light resonating from within. Looking at people through a lens of belief helped me open up toward and trust in others. In return people often repay my trust and faith by opening up to me and placing trusting me. It forms a relationship of mutual respect.

Reciprocation and gratitude are created from small acts of kindness. Compassion and non-judgment toward others opens you up to being kind and receiving the kindness that people have to offer.  They're all connected and little by little these last two weeks of mindfulness has helped remind me of the importance of it all.



                                                                                                        Peace

Believe in others
The world is even more beautiful when we choose to see others as shining, too.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Notice the judgments and criticisms you make of the people around you. Enjoy the time and energy saved by casting them aside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment