Because you enjoy doing it - YoM Day 316

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 316. Yesterday, I talked about taking some chances and getting out there. Today is a new day.
"I think the thing to do is to enjoy the ride while you're on it." - Johnny Depp
My buddy who was in the same training group as me when I came to Japan has now started his own stream. Although he's just starting out, he's also having a great time doing it while also going to school and working on his Japanese studies back in the states. In a lot of ways we're in the same boat because we're both still pretty unknown to the world. Being a streamer, youtuber, or a content creator in general can be hard and it can break a lot of people. Even so, it doesn't matter because we're enjoying what we're doing.

One thing all of my role models have told me is that "it's not about the money" when it comes to figuring out what you want to do with your life. Of course, life isn't all fun and games and we have to put in work in order to achieve anything, but there's a huge difference between getting a job as a doctor and hating every moment of your life just so you can get a fat paycheck, and going through the struggle to become one because you genuinely want to and love helping people. It's not about the money, it's about doing something that really matters and inspires you.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a sumo wrestler and tried super hard to gain weight and get fat (because I love eating and sumo wrestlers eat A LOT on the daily). Alas, I never gained the weight and I ended up giving up the dream, but the thought of becoming one made me super excited and I remember pretending I was the biggest and baddest sumo in the world. By the time I started looking for my first job I had the option of working at a clothing store or a music store. They both offered the same amount of money, but it was Christmas time, I saw how trashed the shoe section of the clothing store was outside of the manager's office, and knew that it would be HELL working there, so I chose the music store.

Looking back I definitely made the right choice because I love music and my job let me talk about it all day and share my love and passion for it with other people. I ended up staying at that store for 6 years because of it and I don't regret it one bit. In all of the jobs I worked at, it was the ones I could enjoy myself and have fun in that I felt the happiest. Nothing's more miserable than going to work not giving a shit and hating what you're doing.

Sure, money helps support our lifestyles, but it's not everything. There are plenty of people who are rich but still depressed, so something's missing from the equation. Society puts a lot of pressure on us to get "good" jobs and make a lot of money, but if we're not happy with what we're doing then what's the point? Instead, I think finding the right balance is really important. For me, it's something that can pay the bills, but is also something that makes me want to get up in the morning and give it my A-game. This applies not only to jobs, but what we do in general.

If you wanna make balloon animals for kids at the fair, do it. But do it for you, because you enjoy it.

                                                                                                           Peace
Work you enjoy
I love writing so it makes sense why I write a blog. If it can help me reach out to some people, even better.

Comments

Post a Comment