Exploring something different - YoM Day 315

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 315. Yesterday, I talked about not letting our limitations prevent us from achieving anything. Today is a new day.
"If there were no mystery left to explore life would get rather dull, wouldn't it?" - Sidney Buchman
Last night I went to a pub crawl to hang out with a friend who recently came to Japan. After a night of drinking, hanging out, and a lot of dancing, I feel like I've been hit by a car (and I do know what that feels like. It's not fun.). At the same time, I don't regret it one bit.

I'm normally not a club going kinda guy so last night was a way for me to break the mold and experience something different. Experience is often the best teacher and giving myself a change of pace in a way clear my mind because it provides me with a new perspective. This lets me understand the world from a different angle, which I can use to explore and understand myself.

Humans are creatures of habit and it tends to be easy to get into the routine of things over and over. It's easier to keep things consistent, but in doing so we end up creating an unchanging loop that gets harder to break out of the longer we do it. That's not always a bad thing, but if your goal is change (or growth in my case), it's the kind of thing that holds us back. Often times, doing the same thing every day gets old fast. If you ate the same thing every day for a whole year, I'm pretty confident that you'd get sick of it and pray for something different after the first few months. Life without variety is essentially living without color: everything is the same bland shade of grey.

Although I normally don't go out to events like this, I realized something: even if dancing, drinking, or groups of people aren't your thing, that doesn't mean you can't have fun. A lot of people worry about others judging them, but the funny part is that most people are too worried about how others perceive them that they don't have time to judge everything you do. The people who are judgey are usually full of themselves and are the kind of people you wanna avoid anyway. So as long as you're not hurting anyone and having a good time, there's really nothing to worry about.

Playing "too cool for school" or hiding behind your fears and insecurities is only gonna make the night drag on like being bored and watching paint dry (it's torture), so if you've already taken the time to go out you might as well enjoy yourself yeah? If partying is your thing, try mixing it up by doing more solitary activities like meditation and hiking. Compare the experience to your usual routine. What's different? How does it change your thoughts and mood? 

The world's too big not to be explored. See what you can find.

                                                                                                            Peace
Variety
Colors represent different ways of expression. No color is correct or the best, they just are. What can you explore in your life?

Comments

  1. What can you try to broaden your horizons?

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment