No Struggle Can Stop You - YoM Day 314

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 314. Yesterday, I talked about seeing the brighter side of failure. Today is a new day.
"Often in life, the most important question we can ask ourselves is: do we really have the problem we think we have?" - Sheri Fink
One pet peeve of mine is hearing people say, "I can't...because". To me, it only sounds like an excuse. My parents raised me to believe that if I worked hard enough and committed I could accomplish anything. Sure, some people have disabilities or circumstances that set them back, but setbacks are only bad starts. That doesn't mean we can't make it to the finish line. Just means the journey might be a little bumpy.

The truth is, we all have things that set us back, but ultimately what keeps us from accomplishing our goals is our mindset. Nobody's life is perfect. Not having hands didn't stop artists from making beautiful sculptures. Being blind didn't stop Ray Charles from playing the piano. Being deaf didn't stop this troupe of women from giving a spectacular dance performance in perfect harmony and rhythm. Life may have dealt these people a bad hand, they decided not to make any excuses. Perhaps my favorite, this man who has no eyes, yet can see using echolocation, which lets him do everyday things.

If there's a lesson to be learned, it's that where there's a will, there's a way. With enough determination, nothing can hold us back. We just have to figure out how to make it happen. Saying "I can't" only sets us up for failure. It's a kind of slippery slope we put ourselves into. People generally don't like to break out of their comfort zones, so although it may not be intentional, the moment we give ourselves a reason to not give it our 100% we're leaving room for ourselves to do it again. The effect is so powerful that before we know it we end up skipping out on all sorts of opportunities and staying in our safe spaces. I don't mean to sound harsh, but to me it's not so different from giving up.

Although we can't expect ourselves to be perfect at all times (that's never gonna happen), we can't let ourselves become complacent with settling for less either. Just because things may not be going the way we initially wanted them too doesn't mean all hope is lost. It just means that we might have to work a little harder and put our creative juices to the test. It might also mean adjusting our goals so they're more realistic and working your way up one step at a time in order to get to your ultimate dream.

It's all a matter of perspective. Maybe working harder is something I need because I lack discipline? Maybe being diagnosed with a mental illness can be the catalyst I need to put in more effort in everything I do, which in turn helps me blossom to my true calling? You never know. Life isn't fair. Nature doesn't give a shit about feelings. Evolution has always been about survival of the fittest, which comes down to our ability to adapt. There's a solution to every problem. Don't let anything stop you. We are boundless.

Find your way

                                                                                                                      Peace
Stuck
No matter how heavily the struggle weighs down upon us, we can't let it keep us down.

Comments

  1. What's something you've let set you back? For me, it's my doubt and hesitation.

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment