A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed - YoM Day 311

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 311. Yesterday, I talked about embracing what makes us unique. Today is a new day.
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." - Walter Winchell
One of the junior high school-age classes I teach had to recite a speech as a part of their curriculum and the speech they chose stuck out with me:
Do you know the expression, "a fair-weather friend?" This is someone who is only your friend when everything is fun and easy, like a warm sunny day. A fair-weather friend will disappear if you get into trouble or if you need help. But a true friend will never disappear when you need help. "A friend in need is a friend indeed."

When you're in need of help, you'll find out who your true friends are. Sometimes you may feel jealous of popular people, but there's no need. Most people only have a handful of true friends.

What kind of friend are you when your friends need you?

I often see people posting about "true friends" and how they're sick of all of the fake people in the world and it made me think about what kind of a friend I am and the kind of friends I have. This kind of soul-searching isn't always easy, but when we examine ourselves openly and as objectively as possible (it can be really uncomfortable to face the truth sometimes) it's a good way to make evident what kind of person we really are and what we value.

I've been messaging a lot of close friends who I've connected with for over 10 years now and I thought it was crazy that we've known each other for that long. We've gone through the ups & downs of high school and college together. Whenever we have struggles we need to overcome, we'd always be there to lend a hand or give words of encouragement. We've been through a lot and have changed so much since we first me and I look forward to seeing how we both grow in the next 10 years. Being a good friend, to me, is an indication of being a person you can trust, is responsible, and is willing to share the wealth. It's about learning empathy. Most importantly, it's about mutual respect.

Upon reflection our friendship was built around those things so it made sense to me that we've remained close for all of this time. If I ever have any doubts as to whether I'm being a good friend or if someone's really there for me, I just need to remember: "a friend in need is a friend indeed".

What kind of friend are you?

                                                                                                                  Peace
True friend
The best of friends are the ones who'll stand by you when no one else will.

Comments

Post a Comment