Share your weirdness - YoM Day 310

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 310. Yesterday, I talked about being respectful of other cultures' rules and expectations when visiting foreign countries. Today is a new day.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You musn't lose it." - Robin Williams
You even feel different from everyone around you? Like no matter what you do you don't quite fit-in with the rest? That's how I felt growing up. Although I could get along with people I couldn't fully relate with them. I had my own quirks that made me different. Yet as I've gotten older I've realized that we're all like that in some way. We all have something that makes us unique. Whether it's our style, our hobbies, or our general way of viewing the world.

In developmental psychology, I learned about how children, who are generally quite egocentric, eventually grow to learn that the everything doesn't revolve around them and that in adulthood we start to see the bigger picture. In my case I think I got too caught up in my insecurities and how I felt different that I never realized that all of us go through something similar at some point in our lives.

What's funny is that when I was younger I didn't want to be "the weirdo", but as I'm getting older and want to become more independent I'm striving to find out what makes me unique. I've gone from wanting to fit-in with the rest to wanting to let my freak flag fly proudly. In doing so I feel more genuine and I think that ultimately benefits both myself and the people I interact with (honesty is important as they say).

I think it's really funny that I feel this way even though I live in Japan, which emphasizes going with the crowd. I know, I'm a weirdo. But who isn't? If anything, I've found that by being open with others what I originally thought was "weird" about me turned out to be pretty normal for other people. We're more alike than we tend to think.

Most importantly, being unique is actually a great thing, especially in business. I'm constantly trying to find out what makes me, ME. This mindfulness practice is both a means for me to learn about myself and a way to create something that embodies who I am. It's the soul in SOUL music. It's my way of preserving the spark of madness I've been given and putting it to use. 

Whatever makes you, YOU, don't hide it, don't lose it - embrace it. If you can, share it!

 
                                                                                                                Peace
Share your weirdness
We've all got something weird about us. How about being weird together?

Comments

  1. What makes you unique? Let's be weird together!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment