Recovering the Heart - YoM Day 360

Eleven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 360. Yesterday, I talked about learning the basics first. Today is a new day.
"The best way to heal a broken heart, it turns out, is to find a way to move past the hurt." - Mary Kay Andrews
The best way to heal a broken heart, it turns out, is to find a way to move past the hurt.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mary_kay_andrews_844642
The world is full of people who are lost. Their hearts are damaged and in fear of being hurt again some people choose to distance themselves from the rest of the world. Their hearts end up closed off from the light and stuck in the shadows, becoming cold and lifeless over time. Such a life makes life devoid of color and happiness becomes only a word without association, like a fairy tale. Some people become bitter, some hateful, others timid and afraid. It's a tragic fate that many end up in, but it doesn't have to be permanent. I used to be one of these people but with time I found my way out.

When I was in high school I went through a breakup that left me in pieces. For a few months I became an empty shell and secluded myself to the comfort of my room to watch anime and play video games. I ended up pushing away friends and loved ones who were trying to help me and I had isolated myself because I didn't want to face reality. I wanted to escape the pain, the negative thoughts, and the memories of my relationship that kept flooding back into my mind. In a way, I became like Gollum from The Lord of the Rings series: a sad shell of my former self. I became so bitter, angry, and full of remorse that the toxicity had almost consumed me.

Although video games and anime were something I used to escape my problems, they were also what helped me get out of my slump. Anime such as Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Accel World, and Avatar: The Last Airbender (it counts, fight me) taught me the importance of self-acceptance and learning from our mistakes. They showed me that compassion for others helps us to see the good in ourselves, too. Learning compassion taught me to empathize with and actually care about others. I saw that my selfishness and unwillingness to face myself was what really made me unhappy.

Games like the Souls and Metroid series taught me to see the beauty in isolation and to grow from it. That while the world might be unfair and brutal, only we have the power to save ourselves from it. If I wanted to be happy, only I could make myself happy, not some game, and not someone else. I learned that I needed to learn independence and not look to others for happiness. I needed to find happiness within myself.

Although my breakup caused me a lot of turmoil, it was a reminder that there is a lesson to be learned in all of our experiences. In working on accepting myself, forgiving my mistakes, learning from my experiences, finding independence, and opening my heart back up to discovering empathy toward others I realized that my heart was only aching because it was still fighting. That I just wanted to be happy and love again. So I changed.

While the world may be ugly at times it can also be so beautiful and amazing.

                                                                                                                    Peace
Brokenhearted
If you fail, press continue and try again. The game's truly over when you stop trying. Love lost leaves room for new love to be found.

Comments

  1. Have you ever been heartbroken? How have you recovered from it?
    Leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment