Cycle of betterment - YoM Day 305

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 305. Yesterday, I talked about following through with my dreams. Today is a new day.
"When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too." - Paulo Coelho
I went to the gym after two weeks of vacation and it felt great. The bath after the workout was particularly amazing. It was like I was waking up my muscles after a long period of sleep. Some of them were a but sluggish and got tired faster than usual. Even though it's only been a few weeks outside of my regular regimen, I could totally feel the difference in how my body felt. Imagining not doing anything for a month, or even a year and it's not wonder why it can be really hard for some people trying to get back into shape. It's like torture trying to get yourself to work hard after not doing so for so long.

I like exercising because it not only keeps me healthy, but it makes me feel good. I have more energy, I'm more outgoing, I can think more clearly, and I become more motivated to do things. Along with the physical benefits, having one routine you stick to - like exercising - can transform your life in so many ways. This seems to apply to everything we do. Whenever I do anything to improve my life the effect seems to translate into other areas of my life as well. Like a domino effect of positivity. Working out helped me become more conscious of my diet. Sticking to a healthier diet helped me focus on improving my work ethic. With one thing comes another. Everything is connected and so the cycle continues with each step we take toward improving our lives.

I like to call this the 'cycle of betterment'. One positive thing leads to another and it encompasses your entire life. The reverse is true, too. Once people start letting themselves go their lifestyle tends to reflect that and one thing leads to another. Maybe you'll start picking up smoking or alcoholism. Then you start slacking on your responsibilities like cleaning and doing your work. After a while you just stop giving a shit and you're living paycheck to paycheck trying to coast through life. You hope things will get better but do nothing about it because you already let yourself go so "what's the point?" This is the vicious cycle that is otherwise known as 'neglect'.

From a Buddhist perspective, I consider this to be karma. Doing things to better yourself in turn transforms your karma, or your life condition, and you end up living a better life. Doing things that won't bring out the best in you just serves to keep you down. Avoiding this is simply: doing your best to just try. You can't expect yourself to be perfect or amazing at every moment. That's not important. What IS, is doing what you can when you can.

For me, it's learning to not hesitate when it's something that is meaningful to me. It's learning to let my voice be heard when I think something needs to be addressed. It's learning to believe in myself and follow the path I think is right for me. All of this can start with developing the strength and willpower to do all of those things. That's how I'm trying to better myself and through my training I can feel myself getting closer to making all of those things a reality.

Where does the cycle of betterment start with you?

                                                                                                       Peace
Improvement
What can you start trying to make your life better?

Comments

  1. What can you start trying to make your life better?

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment