Follow through - YoM Day 304

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 304.  Yesterday, I talked about having goals to help us reach greater heights. Today is a new day.
"You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through." - Rosalynn Carter
When I was taking piano lessons I used to hesitate to pick my recital pieces because I would always question whether it was within my capabilities to play. My piano teacher, Mrs. Companion, would always support me and tell me she knew I could play whatever I strove to learn, but no matter how many times I went through the ropes and had to pick a new recital piece I'd keep going through the same doubts. It's funny how that works. No matter how many times our past experiences may say otherwise, it's easy to get stuck in the loop of negativity and forget how capable we actually are. Whether we realize it or not, we're fucking awesome.

Eventually it finally sunk in my head that I could accomplish anything I really put my mind to, so I decided to challenge myself and play songs that I really wanted to play. At first, Mrs. Companion would give me a list of songs to play from and I'd pick, but then I thought, "you know, I really want to learn how to play this song. Might as well make it my recital piece then". Sure enough Mrs. Companion was on-board with the idea and I went on to playing more difficult pieces that I never thought I'd be able to play at my age. Sometimes we need a little push to get us going, but once we have the confidence to follow through with our wants and desires, there's nothing we can't do. This taught me that when it comes to "can" and "can't", we are our own worst enemy.

Some people just talk the talk and never actually do what they say they are. There are a lot of things I've said I'd do (like my youtube channel) that I keep putting off for one reason or another. While shit happens and things don't always go according to plan, learning to follow through with my plans and stop worrying about the results will in turn boost my confidence in the same way believing in my abilities as a pianist had helped me challenge myself to learning more difficult pieces. It's the same with anything. Failure usually isn't fatal, so we might as well go at our dreams with everything we have. If you have any projects you've held off, ideas you've never implemented, try following through with them. It's like a good golf swing. You don't just stop once you've hit the ball, you gotta keep going and follow through with a full swing to get the best control over where the ball is going. I feel like that's life in a nutshell.

It doesn't have to be right away. Everyone does things at their own pace. Work at it in any way you can. What are you waiting for?

Embrace your inner bad-ass.

                                                                                                                    Peace
Follow through
We've all made our new year's resolutions. Let's try following through with them.

Comments

  1. What's your new year's resolution? How do you plan to follow through with it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment