Do You - YoM Day 302

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 302. Yesterday, I talked about taking risks and sticking your neck out. Today is a new day.
"Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that's when you're most beautiful." - Zoe Kravitz
I finally managed to get home after a LONG commute from Seattle to Osaka, but I'm finally here after 14 hours and a few flights later. I'm so glad I took this vacation. It's crazy how Japan makes you feel obligated to only do the rules that I forgot how chill America is. It's weird. Growing up I went from loving Christmas for the joy from everything and everything about it to loving it in a completely different way. Now it's like introducing my past to my future. It's like the immortalization of the family legacy. Like a crazy rock-synth fusion of past and present. Back to the future. That's how this vacation felt.

At the airport I ended up picking up an interesting book: "you do you" by Sarah Knight. It talked a lot about learning to let go, stop giving a shit about expectations, and just embracing your authentic self. It's basically a self-help book from someone who is more about helping people be comfortable in their own skin more than it is about finding success or any chasing a dream like most self-help "gurus" focus on. I really enjoyed how easy of a page-turner it was (because I can relate with how she writes) and would recommend anyone to read it if not for her sense of humor. 
 
I've actually read quite a few self-help books because I wanted to gain a more positive mindset. I've mentioned before going through depression at various stages of my life and while a lot of self-help products ARE bullshit, what I did learn from them is that happiness ultimately comes from within. 

But what does that actually mean? 
 
To me, it comes down to taking care of yourself. Whether it's your diet, being in shape, having good grooming habits, and having self-respect, it can mean a lot of things. However, they are all a part of the same whole. When you work on one you end up also working on the others whether you realize it or not. In practicing self-respect I've ended up being more mindful of what my lifestyle is like from an outside perspective and it helped me see that I wasn't as "healthy" as I thought I was. At the same time, it's about embracing who you are and realizing that you don't have to be perfect to please anyone. You don't have to please anyone at all to begin with. 

People are gonna judge us no matter what we do so we might as well be judged doing things our own way.

Just do you

                                                                                                                        Peace
do you
What some call "weird", I call "unique". Do You.

Comments

Post a Comment