Sticking your neck out - YoM Day 301

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 301. Yesterday, I talked about how everything has its own story to be discovered and learning to be more aware of them. Today is a new day.
"Behold the turtle. He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out." - James Bryant Conant 
Tomorrow I depart Seattle and head back to Japan. It's been a great trip being back home and seeing how much things have changed since I've gone off on my own. It's been a nice journey, but as with all things, it must come to an end and I have to go back to the real world of responsibilities and adulthood. One theme that's been really present during my vacation is "growth". Seeing how everyone is changing and making progress toward accomplishing their goals is interesting.

Even more interesting is how everything that transpired during my stay in Seattle has helped reaffirm to me the benefits of working toward your dreams. Whether it's seeing it through how my friends' lives have changed, how I have changed, or meeting people that inspire you to find something you really love. I've struggled since high school in trying to figure out what I wanted to be and it's something that I used to think was also something I had to be amazing at. As I've grown up I've become more open to trying new things and branching out. I remember being hesitant to try new foods because they looked "gross" or smelled "funny". Some of the foods I used to "hate", like broccoli, I now love. At restaurants I used to generally go for one thing, but now I like to try out new items on the menu to see which one is really my favorite. It's crazy how our tastes can change with age.

Just like it's important to be willing to try out foods and give them a chance, putting yourself out there and letting the world show you what's out there is how we grow. In sticking out necks out and getting out of our shells we not only see how amazing this world can be, we're being a part of the experience too. It's like that reset moment and the cycle starts anew. That's what it means to exist forever.

Like what if death was a lie? How crazy would that be? What if that's the key?

                                                                                                                      Peace
Everything
This is life. This is everything. We can only know this when we come to embrace it.

Comments

  1. I'll be on the plane home to Japan in a few hours so I'll update late again tomorrow. Have a great one! HAPPY NEW YEAR~~~!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment