Balance in the kitchen - YoM Day 291

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 291. Yesterday, I talked about letting go during vacations. Today is a new day.
"Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony." - Thomas Merton
I went and saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi in theaters today with my parents and we had ourselves an alright time. The series has always been an interesting blend of Western and Eastern philosophies tied together. Much like the Sith and the Jedi, the balance has always been present in various forms. Whether it's manifested as colors (black and white), energy (push and pull), vibrations (frequencies and waves), etc. there is always a yin-yang duality present. Everything has a contrast - light and dark.

One thing that bugs me about America is how much junk food there is. I looked into my parents' fridge and there was soda, cake, and ice cream - sugar, sugar, sugar. They had a lot of candy left over from Halloween and we'll be heading to my grandma's place for a big Christmas feast in a few days where there will be more sugary goodness waiting for us. No balance of greens, fruits, etc. Terrible. As a kid I didn't really notice how much sugar I'd consume, but now that I'm older and becoming more aware of what's going on I can see why my parents are overweight. It's plain as day to me now.  I'm seeing pictures of peers I went to high school with and many of them have gotten fat, too. It's crazy! They lack dietary balance.

Although mine isn't perfect, it's kept my waistline the same as it was in high school, but seeing my parents and my peers change has been a strong visual representation for why we should be careful with what we choose to put in our stomachs. I think being exposed to this as a child and growing up with overweight parents just showed me how much of a toll a bad diet has on your body in the long-term. Going to a school where people were really active also helped me to get out of my shell and appreciate fitness and self-improvement. I just get it now.

That's not to say junk food should be forbidden. It's about finding the right balance. Christmas is notorious for being filled with sugary sweets and fatty diets, but for it to be a lifelong endeavor is overkill. Being at my parents has reminded me why I decided to be more health conscious about what I eat and how I live my life. It's nice to indulge on heavy things to reward yourself sometimes, but you gotta be careful not to let it get too overboard. Although I may be on vacation, I have to remind myself to keep a good balance between being healthy and indulging on everything I've been craving. This applies to everything I do. TV, video games, exercise, work, everything. I sometimes need a little bumps in my road to keep it held together, but we all have our own sense of what works for us. Today helped me see that balance in the kitchen is something that helps me out a lot. Everyone has something that they can improve the balance on. Finding it is the first step.

Find what works for you! Good luck~

                                                                                                                 Peace
Scale
For me it's balance in my diet. What something that you need to work on?

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment