Living YOUR life - YoM Day 286

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 286. Yesterday, I talked about change being the catalyst to our growth. Today is a new day.
"It's your life, live it your way." - Bob Hoskins
Today's reflections came a little late because I'm flying back to America for my winter vacation tomorrow. As I finished packing my bags after spending a night out with friends I thought about everything that was leading up to this moment. I saw how I've changed as a person since coming to Japan and how much progress I've made in the last 10 years. It felt nice. I felt like an adult. 

Although it doesn't seem like that long ago, high school was a long time ago and next year will be my 10-year reunion. Aside from feeling a tad old from realizing how close that's coming up, it's also making me see how everything had helped me come to this point. My mom always jokes about how hard I can be to deal with because I've always wanted to do things my way with my own power. At the same time, she's encouraged me to do things that way because it teaches me to not rely on anyone for anything and to trust in my own abilities. I might not be the most successful or living a lavish life of luxury, but I'm living a life that I made for myself. It's a simple life that suits me.

An old friend of mine is going through a lot of changes in his life. He's about to move to Thailand for a change of pace and scenery and he seems to be doing well. I'm really happy for him and he did that by doing things HIS way. While our paths are very different, we're enjoying where life is taking us right now.

When comparing our lives and the journeys we've gone through, it's interesting how we both went against the norm in a lot of ways. We found a balance between doing what was necessary and straying away from following the herd completely. I've heard many an unfortunate tale of people going through the ropes as per society's expectations and ending up with a staggering amount of debt and they're either working in a field that's irrelevant to what they studied or they hate their job. While that's not always the scenario, I've seen it happen far too many times for me to want to follow trends for trends' sake.

My progress might be slow, but I'm still young and I'm doing what I want to do. Do I really need more?


How do you wanna live your life?

                                                                                                            Peace
Living your life
Your life is in your hands alone. How will you live it?

PSA: My flight tomorrow will be long, so I'll likely be posting tomorrow's reflections late as well. Here's to a safe commute!

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment