Improvement is a lifestyle - YoM Day 285

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 285. Yesterday, I talked about finding purpose in our actions. Today is a new day.
"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." - Winston Churchill
My interview yesterday wasn't so stressful. It was your basic affair. I answered questions like "what makes you suitable for this position" and had opportunities to ask my own questions. Overall I think it went alright, but I was also given a lot to think about in terms of how becoming a trainer would affect my schedule and what skills I'd have to develop in order to do well. One skill in particular is being able to mentally step out of the classroom and see how all of the basic teaching skills come together to form a cohesive whole. This added perspective to my own shortcomings at the moment and gave me a clearer sense on what I can improve on.

To make any progress in life, I've always had to make some changes. Whether it was learning new set of skills or adopting a different day-to-day life style, progress always comes at the cost of change. Knowing what to change requires us to be cognizant of what's going on in our lives, which requires observation and a little experimentation. In my case, I know that there are there are things that I can improve with my own teaching so learning how to think about my teaching style from an outsider's perspective is something that is providing me with more insight on what my teaching strengths and weaknesses are. I've identified some of my main strengths and weaknesses already so I'm working to cater to those strengths and mitigating my weaknesses.

One thing I have to be careful of is becoming too content with myself. I may have gained a lot of experience in teaching since coming to Japan but I'm by no means an expert. There is always someone better and there is always something we can improve on, so we always have room for change. Even if I had been teaching for 20 years, there could still be things I have yet to master. The longer we get set in our ways the harder it is to change them, even if it's for the better. While change can be a scary thing to some, getting over that fear gets us out of our comfort zone and that's what really propels growth. No matter how successful a class might be in a particular day things could always go south at any time. With this in mind, improvement isn't some magical pill or seminar that lasts forever; it's a life-long endeavor. That goes for any discipline in life.

Perfection isn't a state, it's a continuous process. It's a lifestyle.

                                                                                                                       Peace
Improve
What's something you can work on?

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment