Listening to your body - YoM Day 280

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 280. Yesterday, I talked about striving for excellence. Today is a new day.
"I take 'signs' in my life as seriously as advice from family and friends or proven facts. The universe speaks through events, y'all!" - Dove Cameron
I went to the gym as usual and as I'm getting stronger and knowing my body's limits, I've also come to notice a lot of things about my body that prior to weight training I had never noticed. Today, I especially noticed my heart rate fluctuating as I'd go from doing a set, resting, then continuing on to doing another set in my workouts. Although I used to look at the clock a lot to time my resting periods, now I just know when to do another set. I also have a stronger sense of which muscles are being activated whenever I'm doing an exercise. Getting familiar with this has helped me plan out what workouts to do throughout the week. This made me think about how important it is to be in tune with our bodies.

From the moment we wake up our bodies are constantly sending us messages telling us about its condition. Whether it's the bladder telling us we need to take a leak or our stomachs growling to let us know that we need to refuel on energy, learning to notice these signs and listen to what the body has to say is something that's become easier and extremely valuable as I've been practicing mindfulness.

For example, I used to have to plan out meals to try and get the proper nutritional value and it took a lot of thought to come up with the right balance. Over time I'd observe how my mood, weight, energy levels, etc. were affected by my diet and I'd tweak it according to how I felt. Finding the right diet is a lifelong process, but in noticing how the body reacts to various things I've found solutions for myself that have made my life so much better.

More than just taste, I know what my body likes and what it doesn't. If I eat a food I can tell by how it settles in my stomach whether it's something I should keep eating or not. It's a type of sense that I've learned to develop, much like learning how to balance. I'd say it seems to be working because I've have managed to maintain a steady weight and have plenty of energy throughout the day.

Our bodies help guide us, whether it's through instinct or a reaction to internal or external stimuli, through life. More than just being the vessel through which we interact with the world, in a way it's also our guide through life, like a guardian angel. It is the Jiminy Cricket to our Pinocchio. It's always there to help us out when we're willing to listen to its advice.

                                                                                                            Peace
Balance
Finding balance in the body can bring balance to our surroundings.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment