Work toward excellence - YoM Day 279

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 279. Yesterday, I talked about the benefits of finding comfort in silence. Today is a new day.
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi 
My students know that I don't expect perfection from them. Rather, they know that expect them to try their best and help each other out. Today one of my students was being quieter than the rest because she didn't pick up on the new vocabulary as fast as the others. I could see her being quiet and not speaking so I'd call on her specifically and run through the vocabulary with her. Since she first came into my class that's something I've done with her and she's coming a long way since she started. At first she could hardly write the alphabet, but now she finishes her writing activities in the same time as the others.

She represents how although we may not start out great at the things we do, with enough time and patience we can achieve anything we work toward. There's nothing we can't excel at if we're willing to keep trying. With enough time and practice I can see her having no problems acing her next speaking test. Thinking of my student reminds me of when I first started taking piano lessons. I would be really bad at reading and lose my patience easily because I wanted to always get things right the first time. Sometimes I would think that it was impossible to learn a certain piece, but then after a few months I'd notice a lot of improvement and I'd get closer and closer toward learning a piece well before my recitals. When I see child prodigies, I see kids who have put in hours upon hours of hard work and dedicated practice toward achieving perfection and the result is an amazing performance. The same tends to be true about anything we do.

Excellence isn't something that we are born with, it's something we work toward. I recently started learning a new piano piece and it involves a lot of difficult chord combinations is quick succession. It's one of those pieces that requires a lot of practice before it comes close to sounding recognizable. Although it's a bit frustrating that I can't play it well now, it's to be expected since I'm just starting to learn it. The best I can do right now is to keep trying and continue to work toward improving myself. What we can do is limited only to what we're willing to put in the effort to do. Even if we aren't perfect, that doesn't mean we can't be excellent.

What will you work toward?

                                                                                                             Peace
Working toward excellence
We might might make mistakes, but in the same way that nobody is completely symmetrical, perfection isn't a requirement for excellence.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, post them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment