Fighting to the finish - YoM Day 270

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 270. Yesterday, I talked about finding the significance and connection with everything. Today is a new day.
"That's one thing you learn in sports. You don't give up; you fight to the finish." - Louis Zamperini
I've been sick this last week and it's been taking its toll on my health and well-being. I woke up last night in a coughing fit and it was absolutely terrible. It made me think about how my dad used to have similar coughing fits in the middle of the night throughout my childhood. It reminded me of my mortality.

When I was 5 years old my dad suffered a car accident that messed up his back. This made it hard for him to do anything physically demanding. A few years later he got pneumonia and it destroyed his lungs. I recall waking up many nights to the sound of him coughing so much that he'd throw up and it made me wonder how long he would last. Every night I assumed he would have another fit and at first I'd be very worried and couldn't sleep until he finished.

As the years passed I became desensitized to it as it became routine. By that point I had thought of the worst outcome and how my life would change if it did. I think my dad knew the impact it had on me and he fights every day to maintain his health. To this day he still suffers from those two incidents, but even though he faces his mortality on a daily basis that doesn't stop him from living his life and it didn't stop him from being a good father. He refuses to give up even when some days are so painful that it takes all of his willpower just to get out of bed. Although a painful and near traumatic experience for me as a kid, there's a certain beauty that came with it. It taught me to never give up; to keep fighting.

No matter how terrible the circumstances, there's always a way out. There's always a bright side to anything and my dad's fight over the struggle is something that has helped me come to this outlook. I might feel sick right now, but I know that I'll get better with time if I work to take care of my health. The same goes with any struggle in life. We're stronger than we think we are and my dad proved this to me every day. We can overcome any hardship we come against with the mindset to remain tenacious and have the willpower to keep going until the very end. The fight is over the moment you stop trying.

Keep fighting to the finish.

                                                                                                                  Peace
Never give up
Never give up; never surrender

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment