Striving for self-mastery - YoM Day 268

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 268. Yesterday, I talked about getting stuck in life. Today is a new day.
"Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person." - Albert Einstein

The last few days I've been going to the gym and pushing myself while keeping in mind my form and it's giving me a better understanding of my body and how everything is connected. Rather than just feeling tired and sore after my workouts I'm starting to understand how my body recovers itself and how much my diet and sleep patterns impact it. I'm noticing how my muscles coordinate with each other whenever I do something whether it's walking, holding something in my hands, or typing on the keyboard. It's all so complex and amazing yet because we can just do things without too much thought we take it for granted.

In terms of living your day-to-day life, knowing how your body works in-depth isn't really so important. I don't need to know what muscle groups I'm using or breathing properly in order to do my job. Most of us don't. However, knowing these things has given me a higher appreciation for the self. It's made me see how intricate our bodies are and that they aren't mere toys to be played with and then tossed aside once they've outlived their usefulness. They're works of art sculpted through millions of years of refinement via evolution. It's no wonder why artists have been so fascinated by the human body for millennia.

There are so many details in each movement of we make that go unnoticed. One reason why drawing the body is so hard for me is because of the immense amount of attention to detail required in capturing it all. Just look at your hands. We see them every day, but how often do we actually take time to notice how detailed they really are? The same goes with the rest of our body. This made me think about how much I still have to learn about myself and how much more mastery there is to be had with the body.

When I think of self-mastery, I think of mastery over both body and mind. I think of being completely in-sync with the body to where we can control all parts individually and achieve feats that we'd only see in action movies. This is something the martial artist strives for through years of dedication and intense training. It makes me think of how much potential we all carry that never gets met because we don't properly train ourselves. Learning to properly breathe and meditation help, but there's so much more to incorporate into my daily regimen before I can reach a higher level of self-awareness and mastery.

Moving forward, I plan to be more mindful by paying more attention to my body and incorporating a training-oriented approach to my movements. In the same way Bruce Lee strove to make everything he did a workout in some way, I too want to make every moment a learning experience. In other words, moving with purpose and adding meaning to whatever I'm doing. In devoting myself to knowing myself, I can learn to master myself.

                                                                                                                          Peace
Self-mastery
Self-mastery is a lifelong devotion, not just a skill. As we live, we learn.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experience, leave a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment