Worth believing in - YoM Day 262

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 262. Yesterday, I talked about meditation and how it helped me find some focus and inspiration. Today is a new day.
"The only thing that stands between you and your dream is the will to try and the belief that it is actually possible." - Joel Brown
I was watching a video about someone's experience teaching in Japan to gain some perspective so I could compile a list of things people should keep in mind when moving here to teach English. Throughout the video the speaker was very negative and despite realizing that teaching requires a certain set of skills (it's not as easy as you may think) he felt he would never be able to get the hang of it. He said he'd had just given up on teaching after a few experiences and stopped believing that teaching was a viable option for him. He left Japan and is now resuming the life he once left behind.

We all have things that we decide it's not worth continuing. It could be a particular challenge in a game, a puzzle, trying to save a relationship, or work. We can't win them all sometimes no matter how hard we try. However, there's a huge difference between the person who believes they can and one who lacks any self-confidence. That goes without saying that it's okay to drop some things that aren't important to us or change course in life. I respect his decision to give up, but I also think that he was holding himself back by telling himself that he wasn't cut out for teaching and he threw in the towel too early. It's painful to give up our dreams because they mean so much to us, so I think that's more reason to keep fighting for what you want. That makes it worth the struggle.

I've never been perfect at anything and the first few times I do something I general mess something up, but that doesn't mean I can't learn to get better. Mistakes are a part of the process and so is getting back up after the occasional stumble. Had he just continued to teach with the mentality of improving himself I think his story would've ended much differently. If it's still his dream to live in Japan I hope he finds a way.

If playing video games has taught me anything it's the tenacity to keep trying until you win. Games like Dark Souls, which are known for being punishing of a player's mistakes, reward those who keep trying to improve and learn from their mistakes. Looking back on my life, I've had plenty of moments where I've given up too early, too. I've been rejected from colleges/careers, shut down by plenty of girls, lost a lot of friends for one reason or another, and I sometimes make bad life choices. It happens, but whenever I kept trying to pursue something things always managed to sort themselves out because I stayed hopeful. I believed that I could and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. In the same way, the moment I stop believing and give up it's over. There's nothing to salvage if there's nothing there to begin with, so if it's something that means a lot to you never give up. Ever.

                                                                                                                         Peace
Trust
Trust yourself and believe you can achieve anything.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment