An hour of meditation - YoM Day 261

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 261. Yesterday, I talked about how chasing after our dreams creates a domino effect of change in our lives. Today is a new day.
"The best way to meditate is through meditation itself." - Ramana Maharshi
Last night I went to my local Buddhist center and chanted there for an hour straight with my Buddhist friends. Normally, it's difficult for me to spend 10 minutes straight just meditating let alone a whole hour of chanting (which is another form of meditation, similar to Om meditation). Yet despite it being such a long time, it surprisingly went by quickly. Normally, when we do something we're not used to or have other things we'd rather do time goes by slowly and we end up checking the time, which makes it pass by even more slowly.

With this in mind, it was important that I focused on what I was doing and kept the distractions out. Don't think, just do. As soon as I focused on this, everything else came together and I was able to reach a flow state. While in flow I started seeing what seemed like energy emanating from the people around me. Some might say I was seeing their auras, but unlike the aura I wasn't seeing any distinct colors attributing to the kind of energy they were emitting. I just saw energy. From them, the altar I was chanting to, the lights illuminating the room, and even the walls.

My eyes are bad and so I figured they were just tired from focusing so long, but I realized that they felt fine and relaxed, so I'm not sure what was actually going on, but it brought on a feeling of calm and connection with everything around me. My mind started flooding with art ideas and as I was chanting the picture in my head kept forming in my mind and developing into something more and more spiritual (which makes sense considering what I was doing at the time). I've been reading into various other religious philosophies and symbolism so the picture evolved into a culmination of various schools of thought all pointing toward the same end-result: ascendance.

This isn't the first time I've had this kind of experience, either. When I do things that alter the mind, whether it's working out, playing piano, meditating, or consuming substances such as alcohol or marijuana, I sometimes get into this state of mind where everything is just calm and my mind is open to inspiration. This hour of meditation was another step in me understanding what was going on. Next week I'll be doing the same thing and by being mindful perhaps I can recreate that state of mind or experience something completely different. Whatever happens, it feels like I'm becoming one step closer to internalizing the process and making it a more natural state of being.

                                                                                                                          Peace
Meditation
In mastering my internal condition, my external condition will in turn be influenced. It's all connected,

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment