The domino effect of chasing your dreams - YoM Day 260

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 260. Yesterday, I talked about getting out of your comfort zone and being willing to make mistakes. Today is a new day.
"If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities." - Maya Angelou
One of my dreams is to find something I can dedicate my life to and support myself with. For the longest time this has been something that I've thought about but have yet to really find the answer to. After the speech contest I MC'd for yesterday one of the upper members of the company I work for approached me and asked me about my plans for the future. She asked me what goals I had, whether I planned to stay in Japan, and how long I planned to work with the company. I took it as a sign that I could perhaps move up in the company and make a real career out of it. This came at a nice time because I'm looking for something that can help me sustain a comfortable living.

These last few years I've been looking to find something that suits my lifestyle and brings me both the means to live and the fulfillment of doing what I love. As a high school student, I took a part-time job just so I could raise money to do a home stay in Japan during my summers. During my summers in university, I worked in a cannery in Alaska to pay for rent and tuition. Neither of these jobs really did anything more than fulfill my need to pay the bills. I had my good times and learned a lot for sure, but I never felt really fulfilled from my work.

Coming to Japan to teach was the first job where I really wanted to pursue something specific. Going after this dream has since opened up a lot of opportunities for me. I love teaching and as a result of this job I've met a lot of people who have helped me grow in many ways, whether it's my art, philosophy, or my general lifestyle. Reaching for one of my goals set off a chain of events that affected other aspects of my life. Set one thing off, and it creates a domino effect that can lead to other changes in your life. In Buddhism, this is a karmatic effect. By taking action to improve your life condition, it manifests itself in all aspects of life. If we don't take the liberty of pursuing any of our dreams, none of them will come true. Action creating results. Cause and effect.

The funny part is, I never expected any of these changes. They just kinda happened over time, so it's not necessarily the fulfillment of your goals that directly leads to positive changes in your life, it's the act of daring to dream and trying to realize them that creates the real changes.

What's one of your dreams? Chase after it and it'll transform your life.

                                                                                                                   Peace
Cause and effect
One change helps pave the way to another and the cycle continues.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment