Impossible is a mentality - YoM Day 253

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 253. Yesterday, I talked about using inspiration to help us in our works. Today is a new day.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford
I've been listening to music from Two Steps from Hell these last few days. I love the emotions and stories conveyed in each composition. It's simply epic. I like listening to tracks like "Impossible" or "Victory" to find inspiration when writing and to help me push through when at the gym. Most songs deal with themes of growth, strength, and overcoming the odds, which I'm trying to do in my own life and the mix of classical and modern styles really appeals to my taste in music. More importantly though, it serves as a reminder that I can do whatever I set my mind to.

Our thoughts have a huge influence on what we can accomplish. The person who tells themself "I can" is far more likely to succeed than the person who says "there's no way". As soon as we plant that idea in our heads the rest of our mind and body respond. They're like casting magical spells on our fates. There have been so many studies on cognition regarding priming the brain to certain mindsets and the people who are more confident and believe in themselves consistently outperform those who choose to think they're not good enough. You ARE good enough though, you just haven't internalized it yet.

As we grow and continue to make progress it becomes more and more apparent how capable we really can be. I've been living in Japan for over a year now and in that time I've made a lot of improvements. My Japanese is better (especially my listening), I'm stronger (I went from struggling to bench 70kg to being able to bench 85kg), my drawing technique has improved (I'm getting better at drawing more dynamic pictures and have started using watercolors), and I'm writing every day to challenge myself. Although there are things I still need to work on, knowing that I have made some improvements shows me that anything I set mind to can be accomplished if I'm willing to put in the work.

A big part of it is learning to not focus so much on the negatives. Sure, there are things I've been slacking on (like producing music or learning kanji), but it's not that I can't or aren't capable of doing those things, I just haven't put in the proper time and effort into them so it's only natural I haven't made much improvement in those areas. In not sweating the bad things so much you learn to forgive yourself more. At the same time, you realize that there's nothing to be disappointed about. Rather, you just have something you can work on.

So long as we're alive we can always make time to improve ourselves. It's just a matter of having the right outlook. Nothing is impossible.

                                                                                                                    Peace
Impossible is a mentality
You decide what's possible. What will you set out to do?

Comments