Reflecting through others - YoM Day 248

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 248. Yesterday, I talked about being more aware of the present. Today is a new day.
"What you dislike in another take care to correct in yourself." - Thomas Sprat
Sometimes I come across people that for some reason do things that just irritate me to the core. The other day I interacted with someone really indecisive and it bothered me even though what they were doing had nothing to do with me. After thinking about it I realized that they reminded me of myself.

For certain things I can be really indecisive. Be it shopping for clothes or deciding on how to spend my day, I admit that I can be very fickle and it bothers me. Sometimes I see people being really lazy with their studies or work and it drives me crazy, yet sometimes I'm the exact same way. Maybe someone said some really mean things and I get offended, yet sometimes I think some really nasty thoughts, too. I can be very hypocritical sometimes and it's not easy to admit; but it happens. I'm a work-in-progress.

A lot of this has to do with pride. When we see reflections of ourselves in others it serves as a reminder of how awesome or how horrible we can be. In the latter example having to admit you have problems sucks. It's never comfortable. I'm by no means perfect and so I have my faults. Everyone does and that's fine. However, learning to acknowledge our faults and not running away from them is important. Taking action toward changing them for the better helps us let go of that discomfort.

If anything, those moments where I see someone doing something I don't agree with, I see that as a sign to look toward myself and see if I'm also guilty of doing such things. If I am, then I think, "oh, I need to better myself" and that serves to help keep me in check. Nobody wants to be a hypocrite, so rather than just getting irritated at the faults of others, we can use those feelings to better understand and improve ourselves.

In the last few months I've become much more calm about admitting my faults and mistakes and it's no longer as uncomfortable. Just today I was playing a game with my friend I made a bunch of mistakes and although it was irritating, I was able to admit when I messed up and am trying to learn from them. It's helping me see myself from an outside perspective, which lets me put myself in other peoples' shoes.

At the end of the day who am I to judge another person when I am not perfect myself? I'm learning to better focus on improving myself so that I can set a good example for others. Instead of trying to change others and being displeased with the world, the best I can do is change myself and hope that it has a positive impact on the world around me. I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there.

                                                                                                                         Peace
reflecting through others
The eyes might be the window to the soul, and the world we see is its reflection manifested.

Comments

  1. What do you see in others that reflects your personality traits?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment