Passing moments - YoM Day 247

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 247. Yesterday, I talked about planting the right seeds in our garden of life. Today is a new day.
"Life is short, and we should respect every moment of it." - Orhan Pamuk
I was talking to an old high school friend who recently had a child about how fast her little one is growing up. It seems like yesterday that her (now) 5-month old was just born and now she's starting to crawl. My friend told me to spend as much time with any kids I might have in the future as I can, because before I know it they'll be grown up.

Being a teacher, I get to see my students grow up and it's amazing. One minute they're super tiny and in a a couple of years they'll be as tall as you. In the 6 months that I've been teaching my students this year we've gone through a lot and it's amazing seeing their growth. Soon enough the school year will be over and the kids will move on to bigger and better things next year. Every year I'll be saying my goodbyes.

Kids are full of joy and will want to spend a lot of time with you especially if you're their parent. If you're not careful they'll grow up to become independent and you'll end up being the one wanting to spend time with them while they're busy doing whatever. In my case, I know that I have to make the most out of my time with them while I can, whether it's with teaching or just having fun and getting to know them. Don't miss the small window of time you have.

This applies to our life in general. We are presented with all sorts of opportunities on a daily basis and many of us miss out on them because we're too busy thinking about the future or reminiscing on the past. It could be a possible adventure, meeting people that could end up becoming really important to you, or a moment that could reveal deep truths about the nature of the world and ourselves. If we're not careful, life will happen before our eyes and we won't even notice it. Like the passage of time, it only seems like a short time that I was still in high school, yet I'm already 27. Crazy!

When I think about it I've gone through many experiences since then, but a lot of it is a blur. A big part of that is because I wasn't fully present in what I was doing. Looking back on the more memorable moments in my life, they're always those where I was fully focused on what was going on at that moment and seeing how everything came together in the bigger picture of things. A lot of this can be done by learning to be more appreciative and not taking things for granted.

You never know what's going to happen, so you might as well enjoy things now while you can.

                                                                                                                      Peace
Osaka Castle moat
Every moment is short. Be careful not to let them passed unnoticed.

Comments

Post a Comment