Toward a brighter day - YoM Day 232

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 232. Yesterday, I talked about keeping in touch with your roots. Today is a new day.
"If you want to see the sunshine, you have to weather the storm." - Frank Lane
After about a week of constant rain, a big typhoon has finally passed through Osaka, the sun is out and it's absolutely beautiful outside. I had a teaching workshop this morning and on my way back I was walking out in the sunshine and was reminded of the struggles we go through in life.

No matter what ails us, whether it's relationships problems, a lack of support/appreciation from others, money issues, or various setbacks to our plans, life isn't perfect. As I go through my day-to-day routines it sometimes feels like I'm going nowhere and that all of my efforts are for nothing. These doubts come from insecurity and are irrational. When I take time to reflect on my life I can see that I have made positive changes. I can see that what I'm doing is making an impact and peace is restored. If our rational side is the sunshine, then our fears and doubts are the storms we must bear with and endure in order to move forward.

One thing I've noticed with my mindfulness practice is the duality of our personalities. When there is light, there is always a shadow lurking nearby. The happiness we are able to experience is accompanied by the capacity for an equal amount of sadness. From the law of equivalent exchange in alchemy to the concept of entropy in thermodynamics, there is a balance at play. Being able to experience one feeling creates room to feel the other to the same degree.

In understanding this, it helps to remind me that all things are impermanent. Where there is a beginning, there must also be an end. As such, the best we can do during the bad times is to ride them out and take action toward becoming the best we can be. In their own way, the storms of life are a reminder that there's always a beautiful blue sky to look forward to when it passes.

                                                                                                                    Peace
Toward a brighter day
The storm may be rough, but the sun will always be waiting to welcome us with its warm embrace at the other side.

Comments

Post a Comment