Wake up, get it done - YoM Day 226

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 226. Yesterday, I talked about the lessons gained from solitude. Today is a new day.
"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." - Muhammad Ali
It's rained non-stop for the last 3 days and it's reminding me of Seattle, my hometown. Although I generally don't have a problem with the rain, I'm so used to it that it gets old really fast, so rainy days with their ever-gray skies tend to bring my spirits down when they drag on for a few days. In times like this I like to sleep in and reflect on things. Today, I thought about how nothing will actually get done until I finally make efforts to do them. Knowing this, I reminded myself that it meant getting out of bed and just getting things done.

We all have times when we're feel unmotivated and don't want to do anything. In times where we're bored we end up thinking about all of the things we could be doing (dreaming) and end up taking forever to pick one (sleeping). It's until we finally drop the thinking and just start doing something that our feelings of boredom can start settling down. We have do just decide and take action. Although whatever we end up choosing might not result in completely alleviating our boredom, it's better than twiddling our thumbs all day thinking about what could-be.

In the same way, it's important to just take action and do things if we want to get anything done. Prior to this month I hadn't really drawn much in a few months because I didn't have real ideas. Yet now that I've just sat down and forced myself to draw things every day the ideas naturally come out. Rather than waiting for the right moment to come, just start drawing and the ideas will come. Not all of them are masterpieces, but that's okay.

In life not everything we do will be perfect, so rather than focusing on that, it's about putting your skills to use and not letting them go to waste. Everyone has something they're good at and with enough time are capable of mastering. The difference is how much effort we put into fostering those talents and using them. To be an artist I can't just dream about it all day, I have to wake up and make art. It's the same for any dream we want to realize. Just do it.

                                                                                                                    Peace
wake up, get it done
If you need a cup of coffee or tea to help you get started, by all means have a drink.

Comments

Post a Comment