Keep standing - YoM Day 220

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 220. Yesterday, I talked about shaping your life around your personality and talents. Today is a new day.
"Take risks. Ask dumb questions. Fall if you have to, and then get up and do it again." - Jacqueline Novogratz
Yesterday was kind of a "meh" sort of day. I wasn't feeling my best and it showed in my teaching. As the day progressed I realized how down I was feeling and worked to get myself out of it. I started being proactive in my free time between lessons trying to help out the school staff, asked to learn about how the school itself runs, and in learning about things I was able to elevate my mood a bit. Looking back on it I feel bad for not giving my A-game, but I'm feeling better now and am more ready to give my students what they need.

When we're feeling unmotivated it's easy to not do what needs to be done. It's easy to say "I'll do better tomorrow", and just as easy to keep saying it each and every day until you realize that tomorrow is never a replacement for the present. It's easy to just give up and try something else in hopes that it'll work out. It takes guts and effort to get back up when we fall. It's hard to do, which is why few people manage to do it. It takes humility and shedding yourself of your pride and ego in order to surpass yourself. People generally don't like to admit their faults, so this is another hurdle we must overcome.

On the train home last night I thought about the possibility of returning to the states, but if I did that I'd be taking back all of the progress I've made up to this point. I'd be giving up and that's the last thing I want to do. When I caught myself having these negative thoughts I told myself to be positive and see the bigger picture. I recognized that it was my pride that was keeping me down and I had to remind myself not to let my current state keep me from continuing down this path. I chose this path for a reason and I still have progress that I can make, so while I may have encountered a brief fall, I can still get back and give a good fight.

This reminded me of a speech a friend linked to their facebook. The message was to keep standing no matter what life throws at us. I contemplated how I could improve and what mistakes I need to avoid making. Some days things go disastrously wrong and others turn out great. I learn from each experience and it helps me improve as a teacher. With everything I learn I can try new things, and repeat the cycle. The same lessons can be applied in other aspects of my life, too. We live, we learn, we fall, we grow.

                                                                                                                        Peace
Keep standing
The truest test of your will is in the face of adversity. Will you stand tall and proud or will you let it keep you down?

Comments

  1. What trials and tribulations are you facing? How will you overcome them and stand tall?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment