Deciding your path - YoM Day 214

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 214. Yesterday, I talked about making time for what we truly value. Today is a new day.
"I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." -  from William Ernest Henley's 'Invictus'
I was working on my Inktober piece last night after work and thought about how it was already late and that I might not finish it before midnight. While I was focusing on my work my ideas started popping out and I just started drawing. No hesitation, just drawing, and although I didn't finish the final touches (going over everything in ink and making sure everything looked okay) in time, I did finish the rough sketch and already started working on the final product. More importantly than the deadline itself, I did what I set out to do (make an art piece) and did so using my own abilities.

This journey of mindfulness is ultimately geared to help me achieve one goal: self-mastery. If you have no control over yourself, there is no controlling your life or your surroundings. It all starts from within, and in order to master the self we need to learn who we are, what we're capable of, and how we can achieve our goals. In my case, I know that I want to develop my skills in a broad range of areas: I want to improve my writing, drawing, language, piano, and social skills. I also want to get stronger, make a career out of what I'm doing, and leave behind a legacy for others to hopefully learn and find inspiration from. In order for any of this to happen I have to take action and make it all happen through action and resolve.

I made a decision to not let the deadline put me off and kept drawing regardless of the time and instead of going on facebook or youtube I buckled down and told myself to work. I made the decision to go to the gym today because I want to get stronger. I made the decision to take time at home to prepare for my lessons because I want to be a good teacher for my students. I decided to write every day because I want to learn about and improve myself and help share my insights through the lessons I've learned.

Although some things are out of our control, we are ultimately the main factor in our success. We determine whether we'll get an A in a class, get our dream job, or find The One. The decisions we make influence who we interact with, if we're prepared, and the possible paths for us to walk down. We just have to decide what we want to do and then just do it. Get rid of distractions if possible and think only about what you're trying to accomplish. Go hard and create your own path. It's up to you.

                                                                                                                           Peace
"Underwater" - I was particularly proud of this Inktober piece.

Comments

Post a Comment