There's always time - YoM Day 213

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 213.
Yesterday, I talked about developing good habits. Today is a new day.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start." - Nido Qubein 
This morning I woke up super sore from my workout yesterday and ended up sleeping in a bit to let my body recover a bit more. By the time I got out of bed I lost out on time I'd normally spend preparing to write and (now) start drawing the daily Inktober drawing. Even though I'm starting out late, however, it doesn't mean that I won't be able to finish everything like planned. It just means I have less time to get it done.

This reminded me about life in general. I've asked a lot of people about their dreams and why they don't pursue them now and I've noticed that as we get older, the idea that "it's too late" to pursue our dreams after a certain time comes up more and more. It's as if time is a gatekeeper that stops us from reaching our dreams if we don't meet its conditions.

Relating to my own life, the average U.S. male lives for about 79 years and I'm only 27. I've basically lived 1/3 of my life already and I have twice my current lifetime left to leave behind a legacy and accomplish my goals. From that perspective, I have plenty of time, yet sometimes I get the feeling that "it's too late" to go back to school and try becoming an illustrator, a pianist, an actor, etc.

Why is that? Who decides that? Is it all just in our head? I think a lot of it has to do with hesitation from being afraid to fail, which is completely understandable. As an adult the risk of starting over becomes greater because we have bills to pay and don't want to be homeless. However, we can't succeed in what we don't try.

So long as we're alive we can always make time for the things that matter to us. I've met people who worked full-time and took on a full-time school schedule on the side while maintaining a family life. These people never ceased to amaze me. In comparison, I struggle to find time to do everything I'm setting out to do. I have no excuse. If it means sleeping less, not playing video games, not going out as often, etc., then so be it. There's always time to get things done and if it means fulfilling our dreams then making that a priority is worthwhile. Where there's a will there's a way. Period.

                                                                                                                        Peace
There's always time
We have our entire lives left to make it happen, and when we die there's no taking it back. What are you waiting for?

Comments

Post a Comment