The Art of Practice - YoM Day 202

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 202.
Yesterday, I talked about balancing our priorities and working for what we want. Today's a new day.
"You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail." - Charlie Parker
Every once in a while I look at how my art has changed over the last few years and how much I've improved on my craft. I'm nearly done with my latest school decoration and I thought about how I've gotten better and faster at planning decorations since the start of the school year. Since my school teaches both kids and adults, I also have to think about balancing "kiddy" and "professional" aesthetics. I used to be really slow at making flowers to cut out and place everywhere. I'm still somewhat slow compared to how fast I'd like to be, but I've made significant progress in figuring out what I want to make, how I want to display things, and where. The keys to my improvement were practice and experience.

When it comes to learning anything, practice and experience are the two most important things. If you want to learn how to do something, just start doing it. You might not be so good at first (which is natural) and that might frustrate you especially if you think your progress is slow. You have to remember though: we all go through our life at our own pace, so slow compared to what? Someone else? Self-development isn't a contest, so why should that matter? Some people get so caught up in the speed in which they're making progress and their expectations for themselves that they give up before making any real progress. None of us were just magically born masters of any art. We had to cultivate each and every skill we've learned, be it walking, talking, writing, skateboarding, whatever. It's all about building a foundation.

After you take the time to build on the basics that's where you can really start growing. It took me a years of learning the basics of playing piano before I could play Beethoven's Sonatas or Chopin's Etudes. When learning a new song you have to practice, practice, practice before you can start putting your own persona into your performances. Once you've developed a mastery over the basics, that's where the true fun starts and you can go wild with expression; but again it takes time and a lot of dedication. If you don't build that foundation though what comes out might sound nice, but it won't be refined. It'll be more chaotic, without purpose. Like the amateur boxer, they lack the proper rhythm, technique, and fluidity that transforms their fighting into an art.

In developing my art, although I'm not where I want to be I have to remind myself that I need to give it time and keep working on myself. Rather than worrying about how good my art is now, I know that if I keep practicing and working at it I'll eventually get better. With enough time and patience we can all develop something into an art. No matter what it is, we just gotta keep doing it and eventually we'll get to where we want to be. Whatever the endeavor stay determined, never give up, and keep going.

                                                                                                                          Peace
Art of practice
The grand master made it to the top through a long-term grind one move at a time.

Comments

  1. What's something you're working toward? How is the grind helping you grow?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment