Working for the great - YoM Day 201

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 201. Yesterday, I talked about anyone, even the average Joe, can become a star. Today is a new day.
"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great." - John D. Rockefeller
In doing these mindfulness posts every day I find myself having many of the same thoughts flow throughout my heat. Although I can try to make each day sound unique from the rest, the underlying messages tend to boil down to a select few categories: respecting others, being genuine, keeping an open mind, working hard, not giving up, and learning from our mistakes. As I continue to think about my life these values keep coming back to remind me not to forget and stay the path. 

Today I decided to spend time playing games with my friends online instead of going to the gym. I've already gone 3 times this week and I might go tomorrow (if the weather is still crummy), so although it feels good to go to the gym I also value my friendships and think it's good to find balance between dedicating time for self-improvement and socializing. In these moments I think about how nice it is to have like-minded people I can share some laughs and good times with. It feels good. Although I wasn't really productive as a result, it was worth it in its own right.

However, life is all about priorities. How we spend our time will affect how our future turns out. We need to take time having fun and working, but it's a balancing act. The good things are usually the immediate pleasures we indulge in such as TV, video games, and other forms of entertainment. The great things, however, are the things we have to work for and invest a lot of time in.

Now that I've had my fun, I am prepared to put in the work necessary to help develop my life. Fall has approached and now I'm making new decorations for my school. I've been taking time outside of work to draw them since I don't have much time at work to actually do them, so things have been a little hectic these days. I've made some nice progress and I'm starting to see my work come into fruition as the students are taking notice and making comments on them. It's helping to make the school environment a little warmer and that to me feels more rewarding than anything that serves to satiate my need for instant-gratification. In sacrificing free time for work, I'm making a long-term investment that's setting me up for further growth.

Whatever we choose to invest our time and resources in, how well we lives depends on where our priorities lie. I'm striving toward a brighter future and so that means I have to work hard in order to make progress. We all have things we need to be doing and each time we decide to put our feet down and get working we're making steps toward the greatness we seek. There's meaning in everything we do and progress is a long process, but with enough time our efforts always manifests itself through positive results. We just gotta work for it.

                                                                                                                   Peace
Path to progress
Progress is a path we forge. Where it leads depends on the work we put in and the greatness we strive for.

Comments

  1. What good things (fun, leisure, etc.) are you sacrificing now in order to invest in great outcomes?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment