YoM Day 188: a cause worth having

Yesterday, I talked about doing things today to make our tomorrow better. Today's a new day.
"Every calling is great when greatly pursued." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
I love being a teacher sometimes. Today, my kids shared their candies with me and wanted to play games with me while I was setting up the class for them. It made me happy that some see me as more than just "that person who I learn English from" and we exchanged some laughs and played a bit before starting class and it was a nice way to spend my day. Kids will do the sweetest things and even though they can be really difficult sometimes, it's times like this that make me want to work hard to make the best out of their learning experience.

Growing up a lot of us are taught that a good job is something that makes us enough money to support a family and is reputable, which although true in terms of being a provider, is very superficial. When I was still in school one thing I thought the same and worried a lot about getting a job that was "good enough". I wanted a job that people would think well of and could provide me with a comfortable life.

However, as I've gone through my life experiencing many things and broadening my horizons, I now think that it's not the job that makes someone great. Instead, it's the passion and hard work someone puts into everything they do. A person casually finger-painting versus a person pouring everything into an art piece are dramatically different from each other because the energy they put into their work is different. One is just playing while the other is taking something completely seriously and with a fiery passion. That's the difference between "good" and "great".

Finding something that I can express myself fully has made it easier to give it my all. It's easier to do something well when it's something we do naturally. No matter what the profession is, I think anything I can put my heart into and come home at the end of the day feeling good is something worthy of respecting. It could be the processor at an assembly line ensuring that everything runs smoothly, the garbage truck driver that's always sure to be punctual, or the birthday clown at kids' parties pulling out all of the stops to entertain and bring smiles to everyone at the party, it's hard not to respect someone genuinely trying their best at what they do. It's not what other people think that makes any cause worth it, it's what it means to us. Teaching has provided me with a lot of perspective and seeing my students grow has really given me a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. More importantly, it makes me happy. That, to me, makes it all worth it. That's where the real value is.

It's not who we are that defines us, it's what we do and how we do it.

                                                                                                                      Peace
A cause worth having

Comments

  1. What's something you can fully express and give your all in?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment