YoM Day 187: a light for tomorrow

Yesterday, I talked about the value of persistence in whatever we do. Today is a new day.
"Light tomorrow with today." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning
This morning I went to the gym like usual and thought about how the things I'm doing right now will affect my future. I thought about how my physical health will be pretty good if I stay consistent and that it'll help prevent all sorts of ailments the elderly commonly experience. I made some oyako-don (親子丼) today, or chicken and egg bowl, and thought about how me making most of my meals is saving me both a lot of money and has helped my diet stay consistent and regulated. Although these are things I do every day, even the little things can create a positive impact on our future.

The butterfly effect in time-travel isn't limited to changing the future. What we do today paves the way toward tomorrow and incorporating little changes like eating a little less each day, incorporating one more set/rep in a workout, studying at hour a day, or putting away a piece of your paycheck every month into your savings, can create so many opportunities for us down the road.

I thought about this and looked at my own life. In practicing mindfulness a bit every month I've become much better at reflecting on my actions and learning from my experiences. I've gotten a lot stronger and more patient from working out. Cooking every day has given me a higher appreciation for the food I eat and the hard work my parents put into preparing meals for me every day when I was a child. In starting daily meditation I can already feel less stressed. It's a culmination effect that adds a bit of value to each and every day.

When I think about how my actions today will inevitably impact my future, I think about how I want to do things that'll add value to my life, so it's made me consider how I'm spending my time more. It gives more purpose to what I'm doing, which I can use to motivate myself to work harder. It's giving me focus that I didn't used to have and that focus I think is helping me see a clearer tomorrow.

                                                                                                                         Peace
tomorrow
Being able to see tomorrow is a step toward making progress.

Comments

Post a Comment