YoM Day 186: keep doin' it

Yesterday, I talked about being comfortable with taking detours in life every now and then. Today's a new day.
"Keep on going and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down." - Charles F. Kettering
I was messaging some friends from back home and it made me miss it. Although I live comfortably here, there's a lot I miss about my life back in the states. One of my goals is to find myself a career that I enjoy doing and if I keep going I can make teaching a career and not just a job. I've come this far though so I can't just give up, but it made me think about what I'd do if I ever moved back.

No matter it is I've tried, the most common advice I've been given when asking about how to improve at something is to "just keep doing it". Whether it's cooking, weightlifting, welding, whatever. If you keep doing it you'll eventually end up making it a bigger part of your life. The more we immerse ourselves into what we're doing the more opportunities come up to make it a bigger part of our lives and the cycle continues in what we call a career path.

The person who doodled every day during childhood eventually started making fan-art of their favorite works. Eventually they developed enough skill to be recognized and started getting commissions. After a while they made it a job and that eventually lead them to getting a job as a concept artist for a major studio. Now gamers can stream their playing sessions and interact with the gaming community and gaming is just their life. The key is that they all found something to do and kept doing it until their lives ended up revolving around that one thing. They then found a way to make money out of it and they converted a skill into a trade.

While I've been in Japan I've considered the various paths I could go down. Right now I can see myself teaching and when I thought about the possibility of moving back I think I'd do exactly that. It could be English, piano, or even fitness. I have so many hobbies that I lack the in-depth knowledge necessary to consider myself a master of any trade, but my time here has shown me that I love teaching. It's also made me think about how much I want to continue developing my knowledge and skills in each area.

I think that in time I'll find more things I'd like to teach others, but I know for certain that helping people learn is something I've become really passionate about. The question now is how I'll immerse myself more in this and make a good living from it. It might take a while to find that answer, but if I keep doing what I'm doing I'm sure I'll come up with something.

                                                                                                                            Peace
Keep doin' it
I'll figure it out with time if I keep doin' what I'm doin'.

Comments

Post a Comment