YoM Day 183: have fun in life

Yesterday, I talked about making each day count in some way. Today is a new day.
"Don't just be yourself. Be all of yourself. Don't just live. Be that other thing connected to death. Be life." - Joss Whedon
Last night I went to a nomikai (飲み会), or drinking party, for my school with the adult students, teachers, and staff members. It was a great time among good people and I was able to have some good conversations. At school I'm normally a pretty open person who, while professional, am pretty casual when I talk with everyone. Although it was the first time my students have seen me not wearing a suit I was still being the same old me and it allowed them to be really comfortable and open with me too. Talking about getting hammered with Japanese salary men and getting reserved Japanese women to take shots with you is an interesting experience; but definitely one worth having.

When it comes to life there's existing and living. The former is just doing what you can to in order to secure your future. Playing it "safe" so you don't end up an untimely death. This includes not taking risks that might set you back and going down the "tried and true" path toward success laid out by others. A lot of people who live this lifestyle are very patient and are willing to wait for things to get better. It's a more passive lifestyle that relies on luck, yet by keeping in the shadows things don't really change all that much, which can lead to a lot of disappointment in life.

Truly living though? I'd say it means laying down your own path and doing whatever it takes to reach your destination even if it means getting up after stumbling a few times along the way. I think it means being completely yourself and refusing to compromise your beliefs and values in order to please others. I think it involves taking action and being able to create the situations we want to be in so that we have no regrets. Most of all, life is best experienced when we're having fun. One way is by spreading your good vibes to the people around you.

Our emotions are very contagious. When you see someone laughing you get a dose of Oxycontin and it makes you feel good and wanna laugh with them. The opposite is true, too. When you're sad and upset it shows and brings down the moods of others, too. "The more the merrier", they say, so for us to create the atmosphere we desire around us we need to first set the example and get people to follow along. If you wanna have a good time, go out and have a good time.

Rather than waiting for everyone to start chatting and having fun at last night's party, I immediately talked people up, shared some stories, and showed genuine interest in the people I was interacting with. I just wanted to have a good time and there's no point in waiting for the fun to start when I can just start having fun whenever I want to. No need to overthink it or take it too seriously, just do what sounds interesting to you and roll with each situation as you can. As the night went on I could see people getting more lively and open to each other as more and more people started sharing stories, laughing, and enjoying themselves.

Whatever it is in life, I'm just trying to enjoy myself and that time I have left here. If we only live once, I might as well have fun doing it, yeah?

                                                                                                                        Peace
Enjoy life
Life's just a giant party when we learn to have fun with it.

Comments

Post a Comment