YoM Day 182: counting the days

Yesterday, I talked about patience and not jumping to conclusions. Today is a new day. 
"Do not count the days; make the days count." -  Muhammad Ali
As I was sitting on the porcelain throne this morning I thought about how I was utilizing my time. I wondered if the things I were doing were actually making a positive impact on my growth and whether I'm not missing out on too much as a result. I wondered if all of this is worth it and whether I was just wasting my time. As I went to the gym for my usual routines (with an extra set here or there) I thought about how my progress at the gym was translating in other areas of my life and something seemed to click. 

Since working out regularly and consistently I've become less rigid in my routines, I'm more open to different workouts, and can more clearly see the benefits from them. I've learned to be less hesitant in trying out new things outside of the gym and it's taught me that there's always room for improvement. Most importantly, I'm being taught the importance of maintaining balance in life through the how the body's figure changes in response to our training. If you always skipped leg day and worked only on my arms your body would look really funny. Outside of working out, drink too much water and you'd become intoxicated. Too much sleep or rest and you'd stagnate and end up with a host of other problems. Too much work and our brains shut down and can no longer function at their peak. Moderation is key to living a balanced lifestyle.

Although I may not be the most socially active out there, I've gained so much from the time I've committed toward working on myself. This time has translated into positive benefits in other aspects of my life, so it's not that I'm missing out, I'm doing things that enable me to make the best of my situations. It's not how many parties or events we go to that matter, it's what we make of them. Quality over quantity.

It's also important not to let yourself get caught up in how fast you're making progress. Everyone is in such a rush to get to where we want to go and although it's an understandable feeling. We each have our own pace, so instead of thinking about how fast we're moving along, it's more important to consider if what we've done today has helped us make our tomorrow better. If we make each day count then it doesn't matter how long it takes because we're doing what we can.

Even if it's through baby steps, progress is progress and it's up to us to make each day count in some way or another. The destination isn't the only thing that's important, it's also the journey leading up to to that matters.

                                                                                                                                  Peace
Counting the days
A little bit each day goes a long way.

Comments

Post a Comment