YoM Day 175: the time we use

Yesterday, I talked about how being honesty making life easier. Today is a new day. 
"The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it." - Plutarch
I woke up this morning thinking about how I sleep too much. In Japan, it's common for everyone to wake up really early. I ask my students and a lot of them wake up around 6 o'clock. Compared to my 8 o'clock wake-up time these kids have already gotten up, brushed their teeth, had breakfast, probably had time to watch some TV, and are already starting school. Feels bad.

There was once a time where I used to go to bed at 1:00 and wake up a 5:00 in the morning for work and felt perfectly fine. Running on only 4 hours I was a pretty groggy, but after washing my face and brushing my teeth I was fit as a fiddle. Now that I don't have to wake up early anymore I've long since abandoned that lifestyle. I usually only need about 5 hours of sleep to feel fine, but when I think about the 7-8 hours I sleep most days I also think about how much I could do in the extra 2-3 hours I choose to spend sleeping.

I want to be more consistent in writing the daily posts around the same time. My work schedule varies throughout the week. Some days I work in the morning, others in the evening. However, if I woke up earlier and wrote them first-thing in the morning I could make that happen. I'd have more time to draw, read, study, practice piano, etc. I could do so much with that time, it's crazy. In just one year, having an extra 3 hours of being awake would give me an additional 1095 hours of productivity. Let that sink in for a moment. It's generally believed that it takes about 10,000 hours of dedicated practice to truly master something. If you dedicated 3 hours a day practicing one thing it would take about 10 years for you to master it.

Our life is short. It feels like yesterday that I was still a kid running around during recess without a care in the world. Before I know it I'll be hitting my 30's, 40's, and then I'll be an old 70 year-old man in a flash. There's no getting back the time we've spent and so it's something that's very valuable to us. I think that makes it all the more important to find something to do with our time. I think finding the right balance between rest and productivity is what we need. We're free to do what we want and we all have our own prerogatives; but in my case, I'm going to work on cutting back on my sleep so I can take more time to build myself up and learn new skills.

                                                                                                                        Peace
Time we use
The time we have left we can't get back, what we choose to do with it is up to us to decide.

Comments

Post a Comment