YoM Day 174: easy honesty

Yesterday, I talked about the value that can be gained from failure. Today is a new day.
"The only way you can truly control how you are seen is being honest all the time." - Tom Hanks
When I was younger I used to lie a lot. I didn't want to be judged or seen as an outcast, so I created a false image that I thought would be a good balance of real and ideal. As the lies piled themselves up it became hard to remain consistent and soon I started to realize that the lies were getting more and more common to keep things together that I started losing track of what I was saying to people and what was the truth. As I was spending my time having to consider what I was saying and trying to maintain control I was aware that I was losing control and that people were seeing the inconsistencies. They began to see me as the boy who cried wolf and it broke a lot of trust and friendships.

What I learned from this time in my life is that it's just easier to be honest. When everything we say is the truth then we don't have to worry about what we tell people because we just have to tell what we remember. If I were just honest from the start I would've saved so much time and energy. Instead of trying to get people to like me I could've spent more time doing the things I wanted and being myself.

The irony in trying to get people to like you is that you end up meeting people who are just as fake as you're being, which leads to a lot of shallow relationships. On the other hand, in being honest with people those who stick around do it because they genuinely appreciate you for you, weirdness and everything. With that in mind I think that in being genuine we're letting people see what really makes us shine and that's what attracts people toward us. When we learn to accept ourselves people respond in kind.

I've noticed that in being more authentic my life has just become easier. I'm more confident in my own abilities and am more willing to try new things. I'm not so concerned with how people view me so I more open to people and am less afraid to do the things I want to. I know that I can't please everyone and that people come and go, so I might as well do what I want to do to try and be happy. I'm learning to trust others more because I'm learning to trust in myself. I'm learning to express myself freely. I'm learning to hesitate less. In becoming comfortable in our own skin it builds the confidence we need to truly believe in ourselves. From there the sky is the limit.

                                                                                                                           Peace
Boggle
Think less, just be. Live in the key of honesty.

Comments

  1. How can you benefit from being more honest with yourself and others?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment