YoM Day 170: individual insights

Yesterday, I talked about holding on to the people who accept you for you. Today is a new day.
"Every person you meet knows something you don't; learn from them." - H. Jackson Brown
One of my pet peeves is people who think they know everything. Think Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. He's smart, cocky, and thinks he's God. He's a know-it-all. People might like Sheldon's character from the show, but that's because he's on a TV show and not affecting your life. If I met him in real life he'd think I was below him, criticize everything about my lifestyle, brag about how awesome he is, and I'd end up hating his guts. Everyone knows a know-it-all. 

In the same way that we're all different expressions of genetics, we all live different lives from one-another. Even twins, despite living in the same household and might spend 99% of their time with their twin, have different experiences in life. We all have different thoughts, interpretations, etc. That being the case, it should be natural to think that other people know and have experienced things we haven't, right?

This is why know-it-alls get to me. They fail to recognize their own arrogance and miss out on so many opportunities to learn. It feels like wasted potential to me.

One thing going to university does to a lot of young adults is boost their ego. They think that because they've made it into college they must be smart and fully capable of doing anything. I definitely got a little cocky because I thought I was becoming so smart from all of the studying I did. However, as I got closer to graduation I realized that the more I studied and learned about the subject, the more I realized how little I actually knew about psychology and the world in general. I met people whom I thought were ordinary and got school in many things, be it chess, knowledge about human nature, philosophy, etc.

My experiences have given me a better idea on how much there is still left for me to learn and how far our vast collection of knowledge spreads. To say that you know everything to me is like saying you're a great student that let your grades keep you from seeing what lies beyond what's taught in class. More than anything it's taught me to not judge a book by its cover. For example, contrary to popular belief a lot of homeless people are well-educated and just got unlucky. They have a lot of insight in the world and are quite intelligent. If you had your head stuck up your ass thinking you were hot shit you'd never know this. In order to have these encounters we simply have to be open to them by being willing to challenge our own beliefs and assumptions about the world.

It could be a simple life-lesson, how to better organize your ideas, or cooking methodologies. We all have something that most people in the world don't know about. I think that makes it more important for us to openly share what we have so that we can all benefit from each other's life experiences and perspectives. We all have something to give to those willing to receive.

                                                                                                                      Peace
Insight
In the same way that every book contains its own insights, so does every person we come across.

Comments

  1. If we knew all there is to know about everything life would likely be pretty boring. What's the point of doing anything if we already know the end-result? There's no challenge, no stimulation. Perhaps that's why we are born flawed, so that life can be enjoyed?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment