YoM Day 168: important measurements

Yesterday, I talked about planning properly to take better action. Today is a new day.
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -  William Bruce Cameron
Success is something most people want to obtain for themselves. Yet, success is something that we define based on our values, so it can be hard to measure what success looks like. One way we tend to estimate our own level of success is by comparing ourselves to other people. We measure where we are in comparison to them and gauge our success based on that.

Perhaps we measure success by how big our income is compared to our friends and family. We might measure success on how beautiful our partners are or if we've married and had kids yet. Some look at popularity. Regardless of what we deem as success, we have traits that we use to measure where we stand in our ranking. However, while some things may seem more important than others, I think it's important to measure the right things. In general, we look toward things that can provide us insight and things that we are able to influence. 

Figuring out what's important to measure in life depends on our priorities, but knowing what we value as individuals is what helps us find a better focus on what to do in life. Wasting time measuring things that have no relevance to our goals is a waste of time. Rather than allocating our time and energy toward things that won't serve any purpose to us we can redirect it toward doing things that can.

When thinking of success I personally value being able to live comfortably without having to worry about the future too much. To me, becoming successful is how free we are to do as we please. To measure this, it's hard to pinpoint the things that are the most important aspects of freedom, but I like to look at the smaller aspects of my life and use them to judge how free I am based on them.

For example, how much free time I have in the day where I don't have any obligations is something I like to use. If my schedule is so packed that I can't make time to write this blog every day that's a sign to me that I have less freedom to do things. When going grocery shopping, what I'm able to buy tells me a lot about my financial freedom. I'm able to live comfortably and generally don't have to budget my money too tightly, but I don't have the luxury to eat out every night and still have cash to spare to save up for trips abroad. That tells me that although I'm not in the gutter, I still have room for improvement in that area.

Finally, after we find a way to measure where we are in terms of our goals, learning to relate things to our own lives and think about what we can do to further our growth is the real purpose of measuring and comparing our lives to others. In mastering this we end up sculpting success for ourselves. To me, that's one way to obtain the freedom I seek for myself.


                                                                                                                        Peace
freedom
We pave the path we seek through how we choose to develop ourselves. How we develop depends on what we focus on. What we focus on depends on the measures we use to define what's important.

Comments