YoM Day 167: plans for action

Yesterday, I talked about honor. Today is a new day.
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." -  Henry Ford
Summer vacation has ended and I went back to work today. Thankfully, it was pretty quiet and uneventful so I had a nice transition back into my daily work life. Now that I'm teaching again I'm ready to start taking it to the next level and doing my best at helping my students learn.

In growing up we all end up thinking about our dreams and where we want to go in life. Sometimes, in thinking about our dreams it becomes easy to get caught up talking about all of the plans we have. However, talk is cheap, as they say, and no amount of planning is without the necessary follow-up action is going to get anything done. It's great to have dreams and think about the things we want to do, but if we're always putting our heads in the clouds there's no point in it all is there?

I have a lot of plans for myself and I often get stuck with the thinking part. Too often do I keep thinking and make very slow and steady progress because I have too much on my mind and instead of just getting to work and doing things little by little my projects accumulate. In school I was the procrastinator that'd get their assignments done by the deadline. Although I still got everything done in school, it sometimes felt like an inefficient use of my time.

One thing I want to work on is executing more of my ideas regularly and consistently. Writing this blog every day is helping me do that. Another thing I've started doing is writing down a list of things I want to get done by the end of the day and crossing it out as I go. This way I'm keeping track of myself and making better use of my project management. Each check mark is like hitting a new goal, so I'm making my progress throughout the day more recognizable and more meaningful to me. The process becomes something I'm more mindful of and that is helping me find the focus I need to get things done as planned.

Making a list of what I want to accomplish for the day is also helping me set more realistic goals. By looking at my list I can get a better grasp on whether the expectations I set for myself are too overzealous or not. If I've created a list that makes me think, "wow, there's just too much to get done in one day" then I know I need to step things down a notch and reevaluate what I'm capable of. By doing this I'm also able to have a better idea on how far I need to go before I can realize the things I want in life.

Most importantly, it helps me see what actions I still need to take to piece everything together, which helps me get over my procrastination and take the time to do things properly. It's a small thing that takes a few minutes out of each day but it's so powerful.

What are some things that work for you?


                                                                                                                     Peace
Plans for action
Sometimes something as simple as writing down your thoughts can have a huge impact on what you plan to do vs what you start doing every day.

Comments